FE Teaching and Assessing.

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by scotty-the-hotty, Nov 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

Im a VMA class 1, recently signed off, seriously considering teaching and/or assessing vehicle mechanics and /or public service in the FE sector.

I know about the PTILLS 7303 and A1 courses that i aim to do for my resettlement.

Any first hand knowledge/advice? How hard is it to get a job with the minimum (level 3 NVQ) qualification?

Thanks in advance.

2. Have a read of this job ad it should give an idea of what is needed in the field. I don't work in the VM area but do work for a large body who employ lots of NVQ Assessors and Verifiers in all branches of engineering, I'll ask around over the next few days and post up some opinions:

http://www.nvqjobs.com/jobs/motor-vehicle-tutor--assessor-41499.htm

3. I t was difficult to get full time work. Most was hourly or part time. At one point I was working for 4 employers including an agency. The wider your skill set the more likely you are to get work. Can you teach Key Skills in IT, English or Maths. Do not assume you will just do VM work, get your foot in the door and make your self employable.

Why are you doing it as resettlement? Start now. I did mine with the RBL when I was still in. Look out for companies that are charging you a great deal for doing your 730 when you can get it a lot cheaper though colleges particularly if you are going to work for them.

Also consider doing your CertEd. It will not be long (my estimation based on no hard facts at all) till this will be the minimum requirement (in some places they are working towards it now).

Have you looked at http://www.lluk.org/

4. Hi, thanks for responding.

I had a feeling that part time work is a norm in this sector thats why i would like to do public service as well as assessing.

You have five years from employment to gain cert ed, minimum needed is PTILLS (as well as ease, you need to get 30 hours of teaching in for CTILLS, hard if you dont know whats happening on the shop floor next week and getting some willing volunters-cfn!).

Looking in to key skills at mo.

5. I was an assessor/verifier/examiner/instructor/lecturer for about 10 years when I left the army. I left that job when the government, in its usual wisdom, introduced yet another quango to "inspect" training companies. If you don't mind spending entire weeks in meetings, dealing with paperwork from at least 5 agencies who all want the same data but in different formats, and still trying to reach your target quota of trainees achieving their targets, crack on. If, as I suspect, you're an experienced tradesman who'd like to pass on some knowledge and skills, look elsewhere.

6. I left in 2007 and got a job teaching Public Services, really enjoyed it at first, I went in with the A1 assessor qual only as at school I didnt put my head to the work (couldnt be arrsed). The A1 I did at catterick about 1 year before I left.
    I taught 16 - 18yr olds and got Pi**ed off with the lack of discipline, again its money for bums on seats, my line manager didnt want to lose any students for any offence and believe me there were some bad ones all they got was a warning and then another warning and so on. The students are given EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance) to help with buying books, pens and other college type things, all they have to do is turn up in class and be there at the end and they will be given the money at the end of the week. I taught about 70 students each week at all levels and when the assignments are due in you get some that have to be referred so thats extra work, then the next assigments are due in and the next.
    At level 3 I had 25 students and in the first block of 12 weeks they had 10 assignments to hand in = 10 x 25 =250 assignments and again they dont always pass first time and you dont always get them in on time, some of the assignments are witness statements like doing a military fitness test, photograph of the student doing the test and then a quick statement and witness signature by the person doing the test.

Lots to do also lots and lots of research and lesson preperation, if you want to know anymore PM and i will let you know

7. What I would say is that if you go down the Cert Ed route, you will need to make sure your employer(s) give you enough contact time, IIRC you will need 120 hours contact time.
    Have you thought about the PGCE route instead?

8. I was given the time to study my Cert Ed (PTTLS, KTTLS, DTTLS)I also had the tuition fees paid for through the local eduaction authority. However I only finished PTTLS due to changing jobs.

Cant remember if Im right on this one but PGCE had to do all the Cert Ed and at the end they had a little more work to put in to get the PGCE, I may be wrong.

I also taught Key skills level 2 ICT, and at the minute I know that colleges are snapping the hands off ex military to get them into teaching.

Scotty, you need to PM me if interested as I do know where there are two jobs going.

9. Evening, thanks for response, PM sent.