Fd Marshall Haig- Butcher or the best we had?

caubeen said:
GDav said:
caubeen said:
GDav said:
I disagree and remember - Haig controlled, from the start to the finish of his command, the lesser force on the continent. Nor was he the senior commander in the theatre, he was subservient to the French and instructed by his own government, against his better judgement, to follow tactical (and strategic) planning which Marshall Joffre laid down.
He was, in a sense, a Montgomery to Joffre's Eisenhower.

But the indications are that Monty was far more ready to pipe up, disagree and take his own line. And often to carry a reluctant govt with him.

Haig seems simply to have got his head down and slogged on, when a more imaginative man would have suggested or taken personal initiatives.
That however, is a dated opinion. Haig was not unimaginative at all. He embraced new technology when he thought it was relevant to easing the suffering of the PBI and when he thought it could shorten the war.

Remember this: Haig is the man who denied Fuller "et al" their decisive victory of 1919 - and saved (potentially) 100,000's of allied lives (and German).
My view may be coloured by not having read the most recent biogs. Can you recommend?

I think my last was de Groot; and at present I'm immersed in Indian Army post-WW2 stuff, so I have to try and think back.
Jaysus, trust you to turn my world upside down. I'm currently reading a very boring fiction (which herself bought) about the oul sod in the 17th century.

GDav said:
My view may be coloured by not having read the most recent biogs. Can you recommend?

I think my last was de Groot; and at present I'm immersed in Indian Army post-WW2 stuff, so I have to try and think back.
Jaysus, trust you to turn my world upside down. I'm currently reading a very boring fiction (which herself bought) about the oul sod in the 17th century.[/quote]

An' which partiklar oul' sod would that be?

The 27th O'Scolaidhe, ancestor of our fuhrer?

Life in Oireland in the 17th C was seldom boring (tho' your bit of fiction may well be). The flight on the Earls? The 1641 Rebellion? The Bridge Massacre in (er, was it Portadown)? Cromwell's Oirish Tour? Derry, Aughrim, Enniskillen & The Boyne?

Or is your book more social/romantic?

If you can bowl me a few authors/titles on Haig, I'll be v. obliged, and will attend to them when the Indian Army is finished - which won't be long now, as I've got to early '47.

GDav said:
The Grouse has me.
Wring its neck; hang for five days; pluck & draw; enjoy!

Drink lots of lukewarm water, swallow a handful of alka-seltzer, and have a final belt of Grouse before going 'bye-'byes.

Thinking of you tomorrow . . . .