FBU uses Newquay deaths to bang their drum

#1
Despicable.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6954398.stm

I'm not a lover of the FBU but I really didn't think they would sink so low as this. They've used the death of this person (possibly another 2) to bang their drum about perceived cuts in the Fire Service.

It wouldn't have been so bad if they had waited for a while or at least till after the coroners enquiry.
 
#2
If indeed staff shortages did hamper the operation then whats wrong with highlighting those issues ?? cannot see what your getting so stressed about
 
#3
It looks like the govt are manning fire stations for the quiet periods and on the probability that they wont be needed.

Like a peace dividend for the firies.

They just don't like paying people to sleep.
 
#4
auxie said:
If indeed staff shortages did hamper the operation then whats wrong with highlighting those issues ?? cannot see what your getting so stressed about
Got no problems with them raising the issues mate, the FBU is famously militant (hence the pre op Telic strike) I just think they could have waited a bit longer seeing as a bloke has just died instead of using it to forward their own agenda.

Perhaps if their members didn't play the system so well there would be more money. Like a mate of mine who's a firefighter but in an office job. He still gets paid as per his rank but can also be retained and get even more money for the occasional inconvenience of being called out on his day or night off.
 
#5
The_Seagull said:
Despicable.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6954398.stm

I'm not a lover of the FBU but I really didn't think they would sink so low as this. They've used the death of this person (possibly another 2) to bang their drum about perceived cuts in the Fire Service.

It wouldn't have been so bad if they had waited for a while or at least till after the coroners enquiry.
hold on a minute...does this site not use every mishap, mistake or inconvenience to make a point about funding and resources. It is not the FBU that cuts services and here they may have a point-let them say what they feel the need to. There are plenty of people here willing to make capital out of tragedy-let us be constructively critical but not hypocritical.
 
#6
People "play the system" wherever they can, generally. This also happens in the forces, regularly.

They're being smart, striking whilst the irons hot, as it were. They're attemtping to harness public opinion whilst this fire is still fresh in the minds of people - "Look what happens when you cut back the Fire Service - Stop cut backs!"

Clever, if somewhat distasteful due to the death of one man in this fire.
 
#7
Yeah but the firesquirters are a bunch of self serving to$$ers who showed that they coudn't give a sh1t about anybody but themselves. There was an extensive thread some years ago (search for firesquirters and read it for yourself). Claiming the public suffer is crap they are simply furthering their own agenda.
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#8
The_Goon said:
People "play the system" wherever they can, generally. This also happens in the forces, regularly.

They're being smart, striking whilst the irons hot, as it were. They're attemtping to harness public opinion whilst this fire is still fresh in the minds of people - "Look what happens when you cut back the Fire Service - Stop cut backs!"

Clever, if somewhat distasteful due to the death of one man in this fire.
Unlike UK armed forces, they say "Look what happens when you don't give us our cake AND allow us to eat it! We stop the service, go on strike, put lives at risk and get the much lower paid, under-resourced army to pick up the tab without hesitation, whilst we camp it up at the side of the road!"

Self-serving, money grubbing turds, the lot of them. If they'd read the "Comfy Chair, and how to get out of it an emergency" manual, they'd have got there quicker. :evil:
 
#9
The_Seagull said:
auxie said:
If indeed staff shortages did hamper the operation then whats wrong with highlighting those issues ?? cannot see what your getting so stressed about
Got no problems with them raising the issues mate, the FBU is famously militant (hence the pre op Telic strike) I just think they could have waited a bit longer seeing as a bloke has just died instead of using it to forward their own agenda.

Perhaps if their members didn't play the system so well there would be more money. Like a mate of mine who's a firefighter but in an office job. He still gets paid as per his rank but can also be retained and get even more money for the occasional inconvenience of being called out on his day or night off.
There were several quotes in the press blaming the deaths on the fire service for not getting there quick enough. This is their way of trying to set the record straight. Agreed, it may seem tasteless after such a short time frame but it'd be lucky to get a single line in the press in a few days time.
 
#10
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, see devexwarriors point.

I don't think the Fire Service are wonderful people with no agenda to push, but it might be sensible to think about what ARRSE users do whenever an issue close to our collective hearts is raised in the public arena. We do what the FBU has just done.
 
#11
Hmmm, so the aerial platform took 90 minutes to travel the 50 miles from Plymouth on blue lights ......

Of that 90 minutes, how long did it take them to get out of bed, have a wash, quick bacon sarnie, cup of tea etc before they departed?
 
#12
Augustus said:
Of that 90 minutes, how long did it take them to get out of bed, have a wash, quick bacon sarnie, cup of tea etc before they departed?
EXTREMELY unfair of you, Augustus - I sincerely doubt that the men who man this platform would take their time in getting to a blaze on purpose! Their could be a multitude of reasons as to why the aerial platform took so much time to get there - A/C servicability, state of readiness at the time, etc.
 
#13
The_Seagull said:
Despicable.
Haven't you heard of 'politics'? Duh. Now is precisely the time to raise such matters. If I was an FBU member and the leadership failed to raise it now I'd do my best to vote them out of office and elect someone with a brain.

Hopefully the FBU leadership will share a platform with the families of the dead within the next few days and jointly condemn the government for cutting the fire service. With as much photogenic weeping as possible from (ideally) attractive female family members.
 
#14
The_Goon said:
Augustus said:
Of that 90 minutes, how long did it take them to get out of bed, have a wash, quick bacon sarnie, cup of tea etc before they departed?
EXTREMELY unfair of you, Augustus - I sincerely doubt that the men who man this platform would take their time in getting to a blaze on purpose! Their could be a multitude of reasons as to why the aerial platform took so much time to get there - A/C servicability, state of readiness at the time, etc.
Unfair? Of course.

But to those of us who did Op FRESCO old prejudices die hard.

I concede they probably didn't wait to have a sandwich.
 
#15
The_Goon said:
Augustus said:
Of that 90 minutes, how long did it take them to get out of bed, have a wash, quick bacon sarnie, cup of tea etc before they departed?
EXTREMELY unfair of you, Augustus - I sincerely doubt that the men who man this platform would take their time in getting to a blaze on purpose! Their could be a multitude of reasons as to why the aerial platform took so much time to get there - A/C servicability, state of readiness at the time, etc.
Are you shagging a firesquirter then Goon?

They're to$$ers who will put peoples lives in danger to further their agenda without a second thought. Comparing them to soldiers is an insult. Do you not remember their actions just before Op Telic?
 
#16
Aye, well, can't argue with you on that point. Being a civilian organisation, with different sets of rules, means that they were able to strike as they did, whereas the forces (obviously) cannot down weapons for 48 hours as a protest...
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#17
The_Goon said:
Aye, well, can't argue with you on that point. Being a civilian organisation, with different sets of rules, means that they were able to strike as they did, whereas the forces (obviously) cannot down weapons for 48 hours as a protest...
So therefore, measured by the standards and behaviour of the Armed Forces, they are, indeed, utter c0ck-knockers, nay?
 
#18
The_Goon said:
Aye, well, can't argue with you on that point. Being a civilian organisation, with different sets of rules, means that they were able to strike as they did, whereas the forces (obviously) cannot down weapons for 48 hours as a protest...
Striking is all well and good if you work at Ford or you're a council binman. Being a service, where lives can depend on you doing your job and going on strike for a wholely unjustified wage claim and refusal to modernise is dispicable. Anyway they were led by the nose by that rabble rousing communist tw@t who used to be the FBU chairman so they deserve everything they got in the end.

I cannot forgive their actions which put soldiers under pressure leading up to a war merely for their own selfish reasons. 4 years on they have not re-gained my respect.
 
#19
:D Biped, couldn't go as far as that. They use the tools they are within their rights to use to make their point to the government.

I would disagree that they are "self-serving", I'm not sure volunteering to join a service that enters burning buildings etc. and saves people could really be considered self-serving, although they will obviously look out for their own interests, as the forces do, or try to do! :)

Edit - I do see your point though, they were applying pressure just where they knew it would be effective i.e. knowing a war was due and occupying the forces. This was obviously at a detriment to the forces, and I think that the FBU was wrong to do it, but we really do live in a democratic nation. Or so I'm told.
 
#20
The_Seagull said:
auxie said:
If indeed staff shortages did hamper the operation then whats wrong with highlighting those issues ?? cannot see what your getting so stressed about
Got no problems with them raising the issues mate, the FBU is famously militant (hence the pre op Telic strike) I just think they could have waited a bit longer seeing as a bloke has just died instead of using it to forward their own agenda.

Perhaps if their members didn't play the system so well there would be more money. Like a mate of mine who's a firefighter but in an office job. He still gets paid as per his rank but can also be retained and get even more money for the occasional inconvenience of being called out on his day or night off.
c,mon seagull ,every organization in the world has people who play the system (including the armed forces) its human nature, the fire brigade are no exeption, however i doubt if there any worse than any other, as for the timing, its spot on IMO if the bean counters have created a situation like this it needs highlighting
 

Similar threads

Top