FBI ND

Wouldn't have happened, if he'd been carrying a Desert Eagle...........eh Bugsy.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
From what I've seen. judging by the bangin' moves he was bustin', I would say an ND was a small price to pay, and I'm sure the receiver of the stray round would thoroughly agree.
He's probably popular with colleagues on a night out too - clearly gets his round in.

Am i right in thinking that US law enforcement are required to be armed, even when off duty? Or does it depend on which agency etc? I believe (anecdotally) NYPD require their officers to be armed?

Officers in the U.S. are NOT required to carry off duty, no matter which agency! But it's a damn good idea. Most officers over here have a personal carry ( or two ) that they retain both on duty and off. Weapons proliferation has it's upsides. :)

In the NYPD you are required to be “fit for duty” 24 hours a day. Technically being fit for duty requires you to be armed. There is a loophole in the Patrol Guide that allows you to not be armed, at the beach, drinking, etc.
The first think that is checked when there is an off-duty incident is if you are fit for duty.

From what I saw in the video, the gun wasn’t secure, probably no snap or other retention device....an open top holster. When it dropped he quickly went to grab it and broke cardinal gun safety rule #1 .....keep your finger off the trigger.

That seems sensible! UK officers are never 'technically' off duty they are required to report and detail any event or action that may pertain to a later case or hearing whilst they are, say, sitting in the pub. By the same token any officer (off duty) in the US must be prepared to defend or backup any officer in the course of his (or her) shift if needed. Most of the officers over here i frequent with take it as read ( though there are no orders pertaining to ) that carrying off duty is just 'the way it is'! Sidenote: New York has some of the most stringent gun laws yet has, arguably, the most gun related crimes! odd how that works .... almost as if the criminals don't follow the laws!!!!

That seems sensible! UK officers are never 'technically' off duty they are required to report and detail any event or action that may pertain to a later case or hearing whilst they are, say, sitting in the pub. By the same token any officer (off duty) in the US must be prepared to defend or backup any officer in the course of his (or her) shift if needed. Most of the officers over here i frequent with take it as read ( though there are no orders pertaining to ) that carrying off duty is just 'the way it is'! Sidenote: New York has some of the most stringent gun laws yet has, arguably, the most gun related crimes! odd how that works .... almost as if the criminals don't follow the laws!!!!
Are you referring to NY the state or NY the city? I ask because I came across stats recently showing that crime in NYC has fallen remarkably over the last few decades, including violent crime, & I was wondering what factors have contributed to that decline.

(Yes, it's still a high level for a developed nation, but as the most populous city in the US NYC having the highest incidence is to be expected.)

Quite correct W P ... It has the greatest populous, both state and city, and had no option but to create a stricter structure for law and order. By 1981 it had a ridiculous level of robberies, rapes and murders. I have no idea what caused the downturn shown on the scale as the population increased and the laws were already at the point of totalitarian! I, however, feel that the lazy attitude of the present generations was anchored in that time period so it could be that populace had gotten to a point where they did not want to put forward the effort to loot, rape and pillage their own! We can but hope! It always, for me, belies the reasoning of common sense to disarm the general population under the edict that 'It will control the weapons available to the bad people' when history has proven, once again, that in removing weapons from the hand's of decent citizens you only increase the ability of the criminal element to rise. Oddly .... those who illegally own firearms don't turn them in when asked to do so but the law abiding citizen is expected to do so! Dumbass is dumbass as they say here. Sorry if i have gone off on a rant.