Faye and Arthur - please read this.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by diehard57, Apr 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Today I attended a reunion luncheon for the former members of the 1/7th Battalion, The Middlesex Regiment who served 1939-1945. The 1/7 MX were a Divisional Machine Gun battalion.

I sat next to an 87 year old veteran whose story goes something like this.

He joined the TA in 1938 as an 18 year old because he wanted to be with his mates if the balloon went up. Mobilised in September 1939 he went to France with the BEF and managed to escape from Dunkirk with about 20 others by rowing a navy cutter across the channel from La Panne to Ramsgate.

His battalion was made part of the famous 51st (Highland) Division in 1942 and went to North Africa with them. He fought at El Alamein, Wadi Akarit, the Mareth Line and Djebel Roumana where he was wounded by a mortar fragment. He took part in Operation 'Husky' - the invasion of Sicily where he fought the famous Herman Goring Division in the Sferro Hills.

The 51HD were not required for the invasion of mainland Italy but were brought home to build up for Operation 'Overlord'. He landed on Sword beach on D+1 and fought through the Normandy Campaign including Operation 'Totalise' - the attack on Caen. His platoon suffered 80/90% casualties in Normandy including the loss of five platoon commanders in a twenty day period. He took part in the operation to liberate Le Havre and later cleared the Germans from the River Maas.

His battalion was rushed from Nijmegen in Holland to the Ardennes during the battle of the Bulge. He took part in Operation 'Vertiable' - the fierce battles of the Reichswald (State Forest) and the Siegfried Line. He was among the first troops to cross the Rhine during Operation 'Plunder' in March 1945.

His war ended in May 1945 at the Baltic port of Bremerhaven where he liberated a Nazi battle flag from a German cruiser berthed there. After the war he would use this flag as a dustsheet when he needed to decorate his house.

His comment when asked about Faye and Arthurs' recent fate and the lucrative offers for their story - "Perhaps they needed a bob or two!"

Thank you Ted for sharing your story with me - a very humbling experience.
  2. Very moving diehard. My grandfather was an RSM in the Sherwood Forresters and lost at lung after being shot in Caen. I was humbled by his stories and his modesty. Too many folk now now know their rights but not their responsibilities. Faye & Arthur have shown their true colours. I defended Arthur before and now withdraw my protection for him. I hope that they both get the contempt and hatred they deserve from the rest of their shipmates. Folk arriving at Brize or Lynham in a wooden box don't sell their stories. I hope that the hairy arrsed stokers and greenies give them both grief when they rejoin the ships company. And that that the inland revenue take every penny off tax of them.
  3. I hoped you doffed your hat and bought the gent a beer.
  4. These boys are truly humbling. I met a couple last year (nay the year before thinking about it) at our branch 50th VE/VJ lunch celebration. One had been a Sgt in the PARAs and had literally remarkable tales of the training, the life-style and finally when pressed of the operations. He actually had to be coaxed with copious amounts of port to tell all;apparently in days gone by, another guy from his battalion would say "come on on Fred, tell the one about..." and reluctantly he would then do his party pieces. Sadly his oppo had died the previous summer but we got his tales out of him.

The other fellow had joined Bomber Command as a seventeen year old, as an air-gunner. He flew two operational tours, did a tour as an instructor and then a third Pathfinder tour - all before his twenty-first birthday! Zounds...I would say he thoroughly deserved his DFM and bar. He said he used to have trouble with new courses full of "mature" 20 and 21 year olds - who thought he was some boy airman taking part in a wind-up.

So Faye and Arthur, take a big wedge out of your disgraceful slush fund. (Yes, I'm off the fence atypically once again.) Go to your nearest ex-serviceman's club or Legion branch and find the quiet, elderly chap having a quiet beer probably with his little woman. You'll spot him because he doesn't come the SAS killer or airborne warrior but probably has a Cdo forces Association tie on under his pully (looked like rain) or a Pegasus blazer badge. Take your unholy wedge and buy him and every other ex-serviceman in there a good drink and hope that in sixty years time, you can look young servicemen and women in the eye despite your example.
  5. My great grandad skippered a coal boat, which he took off to Dunkirk. He was paying off the boat from the owner of the coal business by working for him. During the time he spent evacuating blokes off of the beach, the boat, funnily enough, took a fair bit of damage. From what I remember my great grandad telling me, the fella he shipped coal for still paid him for the week or so he technically wasn't working. It was only in recent years from chatting with his son, my maternal grandfather, I found out that the "wages" were docked (excuse the pun!) for months afterwards to pay for the damage the Germans had inflicted upon his wee boat. I wonder what the oul fella would have made of this lot?
  6. Hmmm! I recall sitting in a certain Sgts mess bar, only a couple of months after retuning from Telic 1. I was on my own, as the course was pretty senior thin, and it was midweek. (OK, I'm an alky, but I needed somewhere to sit while I waited for the washer to finish).

Anyway, these 2 old gents rocked up, ordered a pint, and asked me to sit with them. As they were clearly hon members, how could I refuse?

After they had interrogated me about my course, life, unit, plans for the future, etc, etc, my superior guiness fitness told, and I started to get their stories.

I left there feeling like a star struck kid. While they sympathised deeply about my units losses on the tour, their company (not Bde), lost more men daily on a regular basis during WW2. One of these charming old gents was promoted from Cpl to WO2 in 2 days due to unit casualties.

I truly hope that not one of us has to go through a war like this, because I'm not sure that the reinforcements will be of a decent standard.

On a lighter note, my absolutely crap performance on bottom field the following morning didn't matter, as I got injured (BLR, groin strain) the next week, and RTU tout suite. :x
  7. Just before I left the Army I got involved in the Royal Engineers Bomb Disposal branch 60th Anniversary celebration. Actually meeting the guys who had to make the 'which wire do I cut decision' with just basic tools and no one else to call on and survived was amazing.

One old boy was the only survivor of a section which attempted to dig out a 1000lb herman bomb when it went off, he was at the top of the shaft just stepping off the ladder after coming out for a brew and got burns and some broken bones.

The least I could do was make sure his glass was kept filled all night.
  8. Spot on Sir. :salut:
  9. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

My Father flew Lancaster's & Wellington bombers in WWII.Before he joined up he was a fireman in Belfast but joined up despite,from what I gather,NI not having the draft. He never talked about the war exept to a Ex-Luftwaffe man he met in the German Gasthaus when he came to visit me in Germany.
    He had a long scar across his back which he got from Shrapnel during a raid over Germany.I only found out this after his death.
    The only thing Dad said about he war was the mass bombing of Dresden should never have happened.

Cuddles,Did you know that RAF WOP/AG's are classed as 'special forces' and are allowed to join the SF clubs? I found that out a while ago.
    (Bit different from RAFRegiment gunners...)
  10. I have to agree with spikes coments, a lot of the old bomber crews keeping quiet about their roles.

My grandad, who ended up as a lancaster pilot, would never tell any stories, and even refused the medals offered because he did not believe in his orders he carried out.

Bomber command had a 50% casulty rate i believe.
  11. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Dad was buried with his medals but he never wore them.He never claimed the war pension that he was entitled to because,his words, he was only doing his duty fighting the Nazi's.
    These men are heroes,END OF. They fought in a war we could'nt comprehend.No GPS,LGB's, bolt action rifles & equipment that if if we got it we'd tell the CQMS to shove it!And without complaint too!
    Sadly,they are a dying breed.
    I believe in heaven although I'm not a religious nut but I hope that myDad & all his mates are in the upstairs mess living it large!
    RIP Dad,I do miss you very much.
  12. Well done the Die Hards, Col Inglis would have been proud of him. More than Nelson would have been with the present day Jolly Jack Tar!
  13. Yeah tough times in WWII
    But do you know how bad it is to have boils on your ass, when it hangs over the side in salt water
    Fat Faye and Flick my bean Arfur, have had it tough, have you ever eaten a FREE chappati "no" you had to pay for yours

All that has to be done is Fat Faye and Flick my bean Arfur donate all they received to a Forces charity and return on board heroes, instead of Arrse holes

Bet it will not happen though :-(
  14. Remember allot of similar stories being told at the 50th anniversary of D Day.

These old boys/girls deserve a huge pension and anything going gratis. They are the reason we can stand here today.
    What a shame most of this apparent great nation know fcuk all of sacrifice..
  15. Strikes me that no regiment, ship or squadron gets the nick-name: DIEHARDS for trolling about and making money whilst others are doing the hard bit.

Why ? oh! why ? have we lost our regimental system to this appalling collection of chavs masquerading as a government ?

Please note that the 'scab' Bliar is shortly to sign away everything our forebears fought and died for in Europe.