Favourite Tom Clancy Novel?

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Gundulph, Jul 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I picked up "Cardinal in the Kremlin" a week or so ago, having never read a Tom Clancy novel but have obviously seen a few films made from the books, I was wondering what do fellow ARRSE'rs consider to be his best rivetting read? this book is excellent so far, I am about 3/4 through it now.

2. Red Storm Rising is so good I have even read it in German!

• Like Like x 5
  3. Red Storm Rising is a storming read, closely followed by Patriot Games (much better than the film). Clear and Present Danger and The Sum Of all Fears are equally good. Tbh they are all good up till Red Rabbit after that they are a bit pants.

If you like Red Storm Rising try the early Larry Bond books, Vortex is particulary good, even has a chapter about the 'PARAS' capturing a hill.

• Like Like x 4
  4. I thought some of his non fiction quit good, pity most of it's out of date now

• Like Like x 1
  5. I still find Jeffrey Archer the most accurate and beleiveable author of our time.

6. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

My personal order:

RSR - Just ******* Epic
    Red October
    Patriot
    Clear and Present
    Cardinal
    Sum of all

Nothing Else, his first five were brilliant to good and then he went off - there was also a retro-book - Without remorse and then jack gets into a fight with Japan and its all downhill from there. Honestly, read the first five and walk away, you'll be happier in the long run.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Red storm rising its a decent book and the first one I read of his after someone kindly left it in my rental car on holiday once.

Not much of a fan of the rest but Rainbow Six was a laugh in a 'suspend all reason Michael Bay film' kind of way.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Like Mr. Happy I really enjoyed his earlier stuff - the 80s - and looked forward to his next publication then. A theme that goes through his stuff that is a bit tedious is how all the characters who are the best in the world at what they do are Irish American. From the super-duper efficient CIA PA to the Director General to the mysterious John Clark. Not his real name, which turns out to be Kelly.

Says more about a need in Clancy than a need in the story.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I rather enjoyed 'Rainbow Six' and 'Patriot Games' gave me the cold shivers...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Has to be Red Storm Rising, although the early Jack Ryan books, up to Cardinal of the Kremlin, were unputdownable (although I was a lot younger then!).

Tended to get a bit pot-boiler after that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Red Storm Rising - just brilliant
    Red October (films not bad either)
    Executive Decisions
    Clear and Present Danger (Much much better than the film)
    Rainbow 6
    Patriot games
    Cardinal - Very good spy story
    Bear and the Dragon
    Sum of all fears
    Teeth of the tiger
    Red Rabbit

The ones after sum of all fears should really be read with a pinch of salt - TC subscribes very closely to the "US loved by all, if only they did what we wanted" view point, and how the US Armed forces are conquering heroes etc.
    Some books start to show a hint of racism towards the latter - and i think in RR, he claims that the CIA know back in the 80's that the USSR would collapse, and it was all planned from the start!
    Has to be said though, he does speak well of the UK throughout (although gets our manner of speech wrong - he does the same with the Aussies... I cannot imagine a digger agreeing with someone by saying "Quite right"). He mentions that the US and UK are the only two countries that would leap in front of a train for each other, and acknowledges "Them" as the premier SF unit.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Stay a long way away from stuff that bears his name but is actually written by someone else (Op-center and Netforce)as it is total and complete crap.

Wheelchair bound super sleuths taking on foaming at the brain neo nazis in the woods at night.

And that was one of the better plots..

• Like Like x 3
  13. Red Storm Rising and Hunt for Red October easily my favourites, but any with "Mr Clark" in come pretty close.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I enjoyed that one, until it went all Chuck Norris - Missing In Action towards the end.
    I've still read it three times over the years though.

• Like Like x 1