Favourite spy author/genre

What`s your favourite spy author/genre?

• Ian Flemming-James Bond series

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • John Le Carre- (e.g. George Smiley series)

• Len Deighton - (e.g. Harry Palmer series/Bernard Samson series)

• Frederick Forsyth - (e.g. Fourth Protocol et al)

• Total voters
"Fleming" only has one "m"

I like Gerald Seymour and Terence Strong

call_me_jack said:
do you know what genre means? i suspect you mean title
Perhaps I should elaborate- I was under the impression that spy stories can have different genres, for example the style and pace seen in a Le Carre novel with George Smiley as the main character, is a different genre/style to that of a Len Deighton, in the Bernard Samson series.

The term genre basically means a clearly definable class or category. Therefore 'spy novels' is a genre. Different authors within any genre will have different styles.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Not read that many. Most recent one I read was 'Kim' by Kipling, apart from slightly strange writing manner (I put it down to being a product of the Victoria's Raj), I found it superb.

Trevelez said:
Le Carre for Smiley, Frederick Forsyth for Day of The Jackal.
Seconded. Guinness is Smiley. Fox is The Jackal...no substitutes.

I very much enjoyed Flemings "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" though

Nehustan said:
Not read that many. Most recent one I read was 'Kim' by Kipling, apart from slightly strange writing manner (I put it down to being a product of the Victoria's Raj), I found it superb.
How is Kipling's writing style strange? :?

castlereagh said:
Nehustan said:
It's not, it's the style of writing employed in his era.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
castlereagh said:
Nehustan said:
I'm no literary critic, but it read more like prose initially than a novel in the modern sense. I actually found it quite hard to latch onto. If I had known the style I would have probably read it slower (as I did once the story had grabbed me, you did warn me about scanning in another thread ;)). This said it is a thoroughly brilliant book I wish I had read when far younger. In the same way 'Catcher in the Rye' takes you on a pyschological journey, this also is telling. Must read in my opinion.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Trevelez said:
castlereagh said:
Nehustan said:
Actually just found this page, seems to say what I was feeling, or at least puts the book in context (1901)...

"Novel writing started in India as a result of the Indian author’s exposure to Western literature, from mid-19th century onwards. Fakir Mohan Senapati (1843-1918) is the first major novelist whose Chha Mana Atha Guntha (Six Acres and a Half, 1897), dealing with the exploitation of the peasants by a zamindar, is a classic in Indian literature, Senapati wrote in the tradition of realism, about ordinary men and women and their problem, in colloquial Oriya."

[align=center]Source[/align]

Nehustan said:
castlereagh said:
Nehustan said:
I'm no literary critic, but it read more like prose initially than a novel in the modern sense. I actually found it quite hard to latch onto. If I had known the style I would have probably read it slower (as I did once the story had grabbed me, you did warn me about scanning in another thread ;)). This said it is a thoroughly brilliant book I wish I had read when far younger. In the same way 'Catcher in the Rye' takes you on a pyschological journey, this also is telling. Must read in my opinion.
Superfluous prose can be one of the down sides of the Victorian novel. I think it's Dicken's who holds the record for the longest sentence in novel.
But I think Kim, is actually best read, when you are an adult as you are best able to enjoy the complexity of the novel.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
castlereagh said:
Nehustan said:
castlereagh said:
Nehustan said:
Superfluous prose can be one of the down sides of the Victorian novel. I think it's Dicken's who holds the record for the longest sentence in novel.
But I think Kim, is actually best read, when you are an adult as you are best able to enjoy the complexity of the novel.
Oh good. I played Kim's Game as a kid (cub etc.), and since reading the book have bought an Indian tray and odds and sods. My two oldest Kids love it (5 and 4).

Nehustan said:
Trevelez said:
castlereagh said:
Nehustan said:
Actually just found this page, seems to say what I was feeling, or at least puts the book in context (1901)...

"Novel writing started in India as a result of the Indian author’s exposure to Western literature, from mid-19th century onwards. Fakir Mohan Senapati (1843-1918) is the first major novelist whose Chha Mana Atha Guntha (Six Acres and a Half, 1897), dealing with the exploitation of the peasants by a zamindar, is a classic in Indian literature, Senapati wrote in the tradition of realism, about ordinary men and women and their problem, in colloquial Oriya."

[align=center]Source[/align]
I don't think that Kipling's exposure to Indian literature would had been that influential on him. Though he would have know the classical/religious works, I think his style was primarily influenced by western writers.

Harry Palmer, What a guy! The most real spy in books apart from Smiley.