Favourite Reads

Gents lets have your favourite half dozen books, best reads, on Military subjects, my choice in no perticular order

Bugles and a Tiger John Masters
The Road Past Mandalay John Masters
Quatered Safe Out Here George Macdonald Frazer
Where Soldiers Fear To Tread Sir Ranulph Twistleton-Fiennes
We where Soldiers Once and Young Harold Moore & Joseph Galloway
Ghost Force (Paperback edition) Ken Connor

Three are by known authors and tales of their service so making good reading. I will suggest Galloway wrote the Nam book. Ran Fiennnes is better known for his extreme adventures and Ken Conner could be a non di plume, though I did see him once on T.V. under that name.
john

Henry Williamson may have turned out to be a Moseleyite fascist in the end but the First world War volumes of his "A Chronicle of Ancient Sunlight" are brilliant. Certainly one of the best books about being a subaltern at war and also so redolent and accurate a picture of life on the western and home fronts.

More famous of course for his excellent naturalist works on salmon (Salar) and lentil curry (Tarka Dal the Otter :wink: )...

Henry Williamson may have turned out to be a Moseleyite fascist in the end but the First world War volumes of his "A Chronicle of Ancient Sunlight" are brilliant. Certainly one of the best books about being a subaltern at war and also so redolent and accurate a picture of life on the western and home fronts.

More famous of course for his excellent naturalist works on salmon (Salar) and lentil curry (Tarka Dal the Otter :wink: )...

Latest Threads