Favourite Reads

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by jonwilly, Jun 2, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents lets have your favourite half dozen books, best reads, on Military subjects, my choice in no perticular order

Bugles and a Tiger John Masters
    The Road Past Mandalay John Masters
    Quatered Safe Out Here George Macdonald Frazer
    Where Soldiers Fear To Tread Sir Ranulph Twistleton-Fiennes
    We where Soldiers Once and Young Harold Moore & Joseph Galloway
    Ghost Force (Paperback edition) Ken Connor

Three are by known authors and tales of their service so making good reading. I will suggest Galloway wrote the Nam book. Ran Fiennnes is better known for his extreme adventures and Ken Conner could be a non di plume, though I did see him once on T.V. under that name.
    john

2. Henry Williamson may have turned out to be a Moseleyite fascist in the end but the First world War volumes of his "A Chronicle of Ancient Sunlight" are brilliant. Certainly one of the best books about being a subaltern at war and also so redolent and accurate a picture of life on the western and home fronts.

More famous of course for his excellent naturalist works on salmon (Salar) and lentil curry (Tarka Dal the Otter :wink: )...

3. Henry Williamson may have turned out to be a Moseleyite fascist in the end but the First world War volumes of his "A Chronicle of Ancient Sunlight" are brilliant. Certainly one of the best books about being a subaltern at war and also so redolent and accurate a picture of life on the western and home fronts.

More famous of course for his excellent naturalist works on salmon (Salar) and lentil curry (Tarka Dal the Otter :wink: )...