Favourite Cold War Motors

Another company that got "split" was DKW as I recall, with the western bit finally becoming Audi.
On the non-car front, Zeiss was split too. The DDR bit was Zeiss Jena who made cheap but good binoculars which sold in shops like Woolworths.
They still sell well secondhand now.
There were a few more optical companies left adrift in the Eastern Bloc who continued to make ancient types of cameras.

Johned

Old-Salt
Surely the motor vehicle in question would be the bus full of nurses from BMH Rinteln?
Those mythical nurses must be getting a bit long in the tooth by now; I first heard about them in the fifties as a young sprog, I was still in the AER in the seventies in my mature (laugh) years and they were still the topic of conversation! Did they, in fact, ever exist?

Citroen DS, solidly built and used to glide along.

They always seemed to be used in spy films, or gangster films based in France along with the Citroen van lurking about for covert obbo's, or to throw a kidnap victim into.

The vans now seem exclusively to be employed as trendy hipster street food stalls.

You forgot about the Citroen Traction Avant, complete with the mandatory suicide doors.

1574467512957.png

I think they were introduced in the 1930s, but they were still knocking them out in the latter part of the 1950s and still a common sight in the 1960s. You always saw them in old French films, screeching to a halt on cobbled streets with Sécurité Intérieure piling out of them. You can almost smell the Gauloise cigarettes. Very Cold War.

There used to be a clutch of them parked up in the old Spitalfields Market. Don't ask me why.

Last edited:
The vans now seem exclusively to be employed as trendy hipster street food stalls.

You forgot about the Citroen Traction Avant, complete with the mandatory suicide doors.

View attachment 432296

I think they were introduced in the 1930s, but they were still knocking them out in the latter part of the 1950s and still a common sight in the 1960s. You always saw them in old French films, screeching to a halt on cobbled streets with Sécurité Intérieure piling out of them. You can almost smell the Gauloise cigarettes. Very Cold War.

There used to be a clutch of them parked up in the old Spitalfields Market. Don't ask me why.
Good call. I remember seeing those in French secondhand car dealers about 15 years ago for a couple of thousand euro's in driveable condition.

A bit of a tangent, but I vaguely remember a book about the drug trade in France back in the 60's/70's - it may have been The French Connection. Les Flic were driving around in some knackered looking vans with top end high performance engine, running gear and brakes hidden under the rust.

bedended

War Hero
Citroen DS, solidly built and used to glide along.

They always seemed to be used in spy films, or gangster films based in France along with the Citroen van lurking about for covert obbo's, or to throw a kidnap victim into.

Morning @Effendi,
Ex g/f had one. Surprisingly roomy :hump:, if IIRC:)

E2a: always use to see a 'Avant' parked at Windsor, Castle Hill late 70s, early 80s. Fell in love with it.
Haven't seen one since.

E2a: an 'l' in "always"

Last edited:

Dubb_al_Ibn

War Hero

View attachment 432296

The Citroen TA always reminds me of the cars in Tin Tin cartoons. Very cool, though.

It is doubtful this motor could silently glide up to an unexpecting serviceman, don`t think it would take too much to escape from either. Very 1970/80`s.

1574543115827.png

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’ve driven a Trabant.

Actually kinda cool in an epically shit comedy way.

Lack of engine braking on the 2 stroke engine takes a bit of getting used to.

Niamac

GCM
BMW 1500, my first car which started a long series only broken when I found out that SAABs were better for a bad back.

1574543901311.png

6v electrics but it rarely let me down.

Seriously, Alfa Sud...........more like the GTA V6, the joke was after three years the car had rusted away to leave a perfectly built engine behind. For the young crowd with rank it wuz Ford XR3i's, Golf GTI's, Peugeot 205GTI's and BMW 3's. Pads at my place all bought themselves SAAB's, we had a row of them parked outside my building. Horsey officers used to get the Volvo 7 estates.
The Peugot 504 was also popular with the Rupert's.

I’ve driven a Trabant.

Ok, I was drinking a fair bit (nothing changes), and inhaling fumes on the tank park, but, does the 2 SCOTS GDS tartan Trabby exist only in my memory?
This was in the final months of their existence in Hohne before they were “enhanced” into the pool on Birdcage Walk. 1992 then.

I’ve driven a Trabant.

My mate has got 2 Trabbies. I’ve driven both. As you say, they take some getting used to.
One of them is a Hycomat with a weird sort of combined column change/clutch system on a stork next to the steering wheel. Chinese gearbox too.

Latest Threads