Favourite Cold War Motors

As an adjunct to other Cold War threads, I would like to post a thread in personal tribute to the cars of the era that played a part in those sinister times. If you had to be dragged, against your will, off a wet, dark and gloomy Berlin street and bundled into the back of a menacing-looking car before a hood was put over your head and the sharp smell of chloroform assailed your nostrils, what would the car have to be?

My personal favourites are:

The Czechoslovakian Tatraplan T600

tatraplan T600.jpg

The Tatraplan 603

tatra-603.jpg

The Polish FSO Warszawa (a licensed copy of the Soviet GAZ-M20 Pobeda). Ubiquitous before the era of the Polski Fiat

fso-warszawa-m20-02.jpg

The Soviet Zil 110

zil 110.jpg

The Soviet Zil 111

zil 111.jpg

Ideally, all of these should be in black.

Strangely, despite being the most politically committed of the Eastern Bloc countries, the DDR had little more to offer than the puny Wartburg and the Trabant. I don't think they were really trying.

Last edited:
As an adjunct to other Cold War threads, I would like to post a thread in personal tribute to the cars of the era that played a part in those sinister times. If you had to be dragged, against your will, off a wet, dark and gloomy Berlin street and bundled into the back of a menacing-looking car before a hood was put over your head and the sharp smell of chloroform assailed your nostrils, what would the car have to be?
Surely the motor vehicle in question would be the bus full of nurses from BMH Rinteln?

I see Friday night has arrived early. AGAIN!

DTBA

Old-Salt
Certainly not the Tatra. It being Czech, it is unlikely to break down. I'll go in the ZiL and make good my escape when the engine throws all the rods or the driver gets carbon monoxide poisoning.

Riding in the FSO would result in near instant death, given the fact that it's impossible for Poles to drive without having had a lot to drink first.

Truxx

LE

View attachment 432090

The Tatraplan 603

View attachment 432091

The Polish FSO Warszawa (a licensed copy of the Soviet GAZ-M20 Pobeda). Ubiquitous before the era of the Polski Fiat

View attachment 432093

The Soviet Zil 110

View attachment 432094

The Soviet Zil 111

View attachment 432095

Strangely, despite being the most politically committed of the Eastern Bloc countries, the DDR had little more to offer than the puny Wartburg and the Trabant. I don't think they were really trying.
A chum of mine has a Tatra. Aircooled V8. The others are copies of spamerican motors, Chrysler, Hudson and Caddy I think.

Wartbburg. Drum brakes with eastern bloc organic brake linings, gulag produced brake cyl seals and no engine brakeing from the 3 cyl 2 stroke engine.
what could possibly go wrong !!,

Citroen DS, solidly built and used to glide along.

They always seemed to be used in spy films, or gangster films based in France along with the Citroen van lurking about for covert obbo's, or to throw a kidnap victim into.

View attachment 432090

The Tatraplan 603

View attachment 432091

View attachment 432093

The Soviet Zil 110

View attachment 432094

The Soviet Zil 111

View attachment 432095

I'd have thought any self-respecting GRU wallah wouldn't have been seen dead in any of those motors. Well, maybe the Tatraplan, which is surprisingly drop dead gorgeous.

needlewaver

Old-Salt
D2318D10-A728-4199-A66A-FC55ADBA38AD.jpeg

An Alfa Sud? Not particularly sinister but I’m led to believe anyone who was anybody in BAOR or RAFG in the Eighties got himself, his tache and his stonewash jeans down to Natocars for 1.5 litres of Italian style....

Edited to add: with black and silver number plates of course.

Last edited:
Czech, built, 1976 registration so qualifies as Cold War. I had one, same colour and wheels as this.
I confess to having an S110R just like this as my first car as a geeky 18 year old (and I would have another if I could find one)

S110R.jpg

View attachment 432185
An Alfa Sud? Not particularly sinister but I’m led to believe anyone who was anybody in BAOR or RAFG in the Eighties got himself, his 'tache and his stonewash jeans down to Natocars for 1.5 litres of Italian style....

" . . his 'tache . . " . . . I thought that was/is ONLY Adjutants ?! ; .

Last edited:
View attachment 432185
An Alfa Sud? Not particularly sinister but I’m led to believe anyone who was anybody in BAOR or RAFG in the Eighties got himself, his tache and his stonewash jeans down to Natocars for 1.5 litres of Italian style....

Seriously, Alfa Sud...........more like the GTA V6, the joke was after three years the car had rusted away to leave a perfectly built engine behind. For the young crowd with rank it wuz Ford XR3i's, Golf GTI's, Peugeot 205GTI's and BMW 3's. Pads at my place all bought themselves SAAB's, we had a row of them parked outside my building. Horsey officers used to get the Volvo 7 estates.

Truxx

LE
BMW 2002.

Having seen the value of a decent one now I wish I still had it.

We had a mess bogey time for the trip between Zeebrugge and Duisburg of two hours. The BM could crack it without breaking into a sweat.

Other cars around at the time were an early whaletail 911 turbo, a Costello V8 MGB, a Matra Bagheera, a brace of warmed up Renault 20s (!) and a Fiat X19.

My company car in Warsaw 1979:

126p.jpg

FSO (who built the car) were a customer of mine

Didn't the East Germans produce some follow-on versions of BMW pre-war cars using a factory that was further east than most of the company's assets. Upset BMW in the West?

Didn't the East Germans produce some follow-on versions of BMW pre-war cars using a factory that was further east than most of the company's assets. Upset BMW in the West?
Prior to WWII BMW had 2 factories, one in Eastern Germany in Eisenach. After the war the BMW factory in West Germany produced the BMW we all have grown to hate (through their idiotic drivers. :))

For the history of the Eisenach factory see here:

The factory in Eisenach continued to produce cars under the BMW label until a lawsuit in 1952 and after that they changed their logo and name to EMW. This factory produced the Wartburg.

Wartburg.jpg

Latest Threads