Favourite Chilli Sauces

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by soldierboy99, Jun 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

2. These are the guys I buy my seed from to make my own sauces, and other bits and bobs that they sell. I can recommend there products.

3. feck me that looks like the extreme end of chilli sauce's, be a proper man test to try some of them

4. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

I prefer making my own with Scotch Bonnets, vinegar and real Ketsup... add some salt after macerating the bonnets in vinegar, a touch of pepper and some lemon juice followed by the Ketsup... shake 'n chill. Job done.

I can't stand that Reggae Reggae sauce or whatever it's called... limp.

5. yeah i bought some bhut jolokia chilli sauce and a chilli mash and some other pickles from them really really good stuff

6. where do you get the real ketsup from???

7. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

You have to really make your own (with chillis grown yourself too) to make something good.

I'm really looking forward to the end of this year's season so that I can start on the Mk.1 Ring 'o Fire sauce that my current selection of plants is producing.

of course, it will probably end up tasting foul now...

8. im trying to grow my own chilli's from seed at the moment but i'm not having much luck

9. Feed 'em.

Most chillies are hybrids and need to be nurtured with some proprietary chilli plant food.

Also, keep the planted seeds in a warm dark place until they show through the soil then give them plenty sunshine.

10. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

Go to http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blcon13.htm. I buy it from a Ghanaian woman here in Surrey. PM me and I'll send you some... only for serving or ex-mob though! :D

11. Funny that linky at the top in spanish there is an advert on how to see women undressed using your mobile.
    Dunno what the rest of the site says.

I make my own sauce base with crushed chilis and macerated spices in oil. When cooking I add to grated tomato and refinements.
    Arrse-blisterer and good. Mem-sahib avoids it like the plague. Dwarfettes boyfriend scoffs it down and then tries to give Dwarfette a frenchie! Good stuff to watch.

12. Soldierboy: How are you growing your chillies? I grew 4 small bushes of Apache last year (from seed) under a greenhouse... tiny fruits, but plenty of them, bide your time as I didn't harvest until 1st week in September.. you won't be seeing much yet, other than leaves and maybe the odd flower. Persevere, and feed them with tomatorite now and then. They do need a feed. You can get 20 or 30 small fruits a year from 1 bush. For maximum heat, harvest, dry (in a low, warm oven, (gas mark one half), and crush your chillies and use them as flakes to sprinkle. I'm still using my flakes from last year and they are really, really, hot.

As for chilli sauces I can't be bothered making my own. I like the West Indian Style, so I like the bog standard Encona hot chilli sauce, straight off the shelf. I'm not into "Dave's Insanity" and all that shit, I want to taste it... I'm not doing a challenge in some kind of Japanese endurance pain show. That "outdoing" of each sauce with how many thousand scovilles they can cram in is just macho bullshit.

13. all these high faluting recipes with home grown this and mix with that, when in season purchase 5kgs of MS(mouseshit)chillies the fiery tiny red buggers and 3 kilos of firm tomatoes, destalk the chillies and decore the tomatoes, mix together and finely puree either in mortar or blender, add to mix,1teaspoon of fine salt, 250 gram of palm or demerera sugar,250mils of golden soy sauce, 100mils of nam plarah (thai fish sauce)mix thoroughly and leave overnight in a sealed container in the fridge, next day, fill your bottles and jars and hermetically seal this mixture will produce about 12 pints of sauce, leave to mature for at least 12 weeks,and a final tip, fill up lots of small maggi size bottles because once the word gets around, your mates will half inch it all and if it is in large jars or bottles it is gone in no time 8) I have been using this recipe that I picked up in thailand for over 30 years now and everyone loves it :)

14. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

I have got some of 'chillipepper Pete's' Dragons Blood, which has been described as 'shockingly hot'. I find it nice, but will result in some serious coughing, eye/nose streeming if liberally applied.

I want to try Extreme Bhut Jolokia and wonder if anybody has tried it and whether its worth it or not? Is it pish - takingly, arrse - cripplingly hot? Or is it quite tasty?