Favourite Chilli Sauces

soldierboy7999 said:
http://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/
These are the guys I buy my seed from to make my own sauces, and other bits and bobs that they sell. I can recommend there products.

I prefer making my own with Scotch Bonnets, vinegar and real Ketsup... add some salt after macerating the bonnets in vinegar, a touch of pepper and some lemon juice followed by the Ketsup... shake 'n chill. Job done.

I can't stand that Reggae Reggae sauce or whatever it's called... limp.

BrandySoured said:
soldierboy7999 said:
http://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/
These are the guys I buy my seed from to make my own sauces, and other bits and bobs that they sell. I can recommend there products.
yeah i bought some bhut jolokia chilli sauce and a chilli mash and some other pickles from them really really good stuff

Negligent-Discharge said:
I prefer making my own with Scotch Bonnets, vinegar and real Ketsup... add some salt after macerating the bonnets in vinegar, a touch of pepper and some lemon juice followed by the Ketsup... shake 'n chill. Job done.

where do you get the real ketsup from???

Fronty

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
You have to really make your own (with chillis grown yourself too) to make something good.

I'm really looking forward to the end of this year's season so that I can start on the Mk.1 Ring 'o Fire sauce that my current selection of plants is producing.

of course, it will probably end up tasting foul now...

soldierboy7999 said:
im trying to grow my own chilli's from seed at the moment but i'm not having much luck
Feed 'em.

Most chillies are hybrids and need to be nurtured with some proprietary chilli plant food.

Also, keep the planted seeds in a warm dark place until they show through the soil then give them plenty sunshine.

soldierboy7999 said:
Negligent-Discharge said:

where do you get the real ketsup from???
Go to http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blcon13.htm. I buy it from a Ghanaian woman here in Surrey. PM me and I'll send you some... only for serving or ex-mob though! :D

Funny that linky at the top in spanish there is an advert on how to see women undressed using your mobile.
Dunno what the rest of the site says.

I make my own sauce base with crushed chilis and macerated spices in oil. When cooking I add to grated tomato and refinements.
Arrse-blisterer and good. Mem-sahib avoids it like the plague. Dwarfettes boyfriend scoffs it down and then tries to give Dwarfette a frenchie! Good stuff to watch.

Soldierboy: How are you growing your chillies? I grew 4 small bushes of Apache last year (from seed) under a greenhouse... tiny fruits, but plenty of them, bide your time as I didn't harvest until 1st week in September.. you won't be seeing much yet, other than leaves and maybe the odd flower. Persevere, and feed them with tomatorite now and then. They do need a feed. You can get 20 or 30 small fruits a year from 1 bush. For maximum heat, harvest, dry (in a low, warm oven, (gas mark one half), and crush your chillies and use them as flakes to sprinkle. I'm still using my flakes from last year and they are really, really, hot.

As for chilli sauces I can't be bothered making my own. I like the West Indian Style, so I like the bog standard Encona hot chilli sauce, straight off the shelf. I'm not into "Dave's Insanity" and all that shit, I want to taste it... I'm not doing a challenge in some kind of Japanese endurance pain show. That "outdoing" of each sauce with how many thousand scovilles they can cram in is just macho bullshit.

all these high faluting recipes with home grown this and mix with that, when in season purchase 5kgs of MS(mouseshit)chillies the fiery tiny red buggers and 3 kilos of firm tomatoes, destalk the chillies and decore the tomatoes, mix together and finely puree either in mortar or blender, add to mix,1teaspoon of fine salt, 250 gram of palm or demerera sugar,250mils of golden soy sauce, 100mils of nam plarah (thai fish sauce)mix thoroughly and leave overnight in a sealed container in the fridge, next day, fill your bottles and jars and hermetically seal this mixture will produce about 12 pints of sauce, leave to mature for at least 12 weeks,and a final tip, fill up lots of small maggi size bottles because once the word gets around, your mates will half inch it all and if it is in large jars or bottles it is gone in no time 8) I have been using this recipe that I picked up in thailand for over 30 years now and everyone loves it :)

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
I have got some of 'chillipepper Pete's' Dragons Blood, which has been described as 'shockingly hot'. I find it nice, but will result in some serious coughing, eye/nose streeming if liberally applied.

I want to try Extreme Bhut Jolokia and wonder if anybody has tried it and whether its worth it or not? Is it pish - takingly, arrse - cripplingly hot? Or is it quite tasty?

soldierboy7999 said:
im trying to grow my own chilli's from seed at the moment but i'm not having much luck
I don't know the cycle for how often the fruit grows, but a bought a collection of chilli plants about a foot high and planted them in my garden (SA mind, not UK). Nada for two years, and then I had more chillis than I would ever need. Might be worth sticking with it for a while if the plants are growing.

Under no circumstances buy Death Sauce - US brand recognisable for the miniture skull hanging by a chain around the bottle neck. A friend brought some back from the US and unveiled it while we were on the lash in London - a round of Bloody Mary's with liberal splashes of the stuff later, and one man had vomited, another was running around a mini roundabout, I was on my knees gasping in cold air while feeble attempting to hold on to some traffic railings. Rather curiously, one bloke with a Scottish name appeared unnaffected.

The evening improved when a colonial - either Saffa or Ozzie - who was chatting up a rather nice girl in the pub sneered at us for not being real men. It was easy to persuade him to drink a (small) capfull to show us what real men were made of. Two minutes later, big burly colonial had tears streaming down his cheeks and was making gasping sounds that sounded like sobbing. His humiliation was complete when the gangly jock snaked the girl he had been trying to impress.

If you live beyond the Black Stump in East Anglia then there are these people. They have a good range of ring searing sauces. They also sell plants, seeds etc

LINK

Fronty

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
You could always hti up the Cambridge Chilli Farm as well. They have a sauce that is made from prime Bhut Jolokia chillis and contains about 10 of these little buggers per bottle. The owner seems to have the right idea about how to make sauces too and ages them before selling.

Command_doh said:
I have got some of 'chillipepper Pete's' Dragons Blood, which has been described as 'shockingly hot'. I find it nice, but will result in some serious coughing, eye/nose streeming if liberally applied.

I want to try Extreme Bhut Jolokia and wonder if anybody has tried it and whether its worth it or not? Is it pish - takingly, arrse - cripplingly hot? Or is it quite tasty?
i've got some dried bhut jolokia chilli's which i soak in water or just crush them up and yes they are hot, but used sparingly tis ok, if you look at the links i posted at the top south devon chilli farm do the bhut jolokia in a sauce or a mash which is wicked in curries etc.

Dave's Insanity Sauce is pretty cheeky, quite a test for even the most hardened chilli tastebuds. My dog knocked over a bottle of the stuff on my patio during a BBQ last weekend. As I hosed it down the ensuing vapour kicked up by the high pressure hose was enough to make everyone cough, splutter and eyes water like we had been CS gassed!