Favourite Army training film

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by Chavalryman, Mar 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As a relative new boy (with 17 years service), what were your favourite / memorable army training films that you had to watch as a soldier. After all who didn't enjoy a good half an hour of squaddie amateur dramatics !

For starters...

I still have fond memories as a recruit of being fed stupid in the cookhouse followed by watching "too fat to fight".

2. "Codeword LOLLIPOP".
    The camp engineer sergeant was delicious.
    Cheers
    Scratch

3. The Law of Armed Conflict video that was shot (no pun intended) in Imber Village. Shocking!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dirty hermer.

5. I liked the patrol vid, with the minefield crossing technique a la dump your bergan down on front of you, whilst taking shelter behind your fine moustachio !!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wish I had a £1 for every time I was obliged to watch Alan Ladd (Canada) in 'The Red Beret'
    Yup, I know not a training film but in the spirit of this thread I felt I had to mention it. Years later I participated in the making of 'I Cannot Answer That Question' training film with 'Jim' of Coronation St. fame.

7. The one about sharing a towel?? Cross infection blah blah..

Impetiligo??? IIRC.

About three year ago the DS asked me if I'd heard of "Deja Vu".

"Yes Staff. I've been asked this before."

Do you remember video??

"Yes Staff!!! Betamax was the best Staff!!!"

What film did they show??? That one.

FFBox you and the gang are a class act :D :D

8. BANG! "Close......but not close enough...."

Don't forget the Brigadier getting out of the Scout with a Cromach and cravat :roll:

9. Yes that one was shocking although the one ingrained on my psyche as I had to watch it at least once a year for about 8 years.... "An appointment with.....FIRE!". Okay the first showing, but once the suspense of how the four stories finished up, just dismal.

10. Incredible really considering they flew in some mighty fine German actresses. "Sind Sie Englander?"..... "Oy, give it back I said".... and so on....

11. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

Ah how I miss watching "Appointment With Fire" year in year out. bets cure for insomnia ever.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I remember the anti drugs one where the matelot crashes the sub having acid flash backs!

13. Does anyone else remember the Vietnam medics film. I beilieve the object was to inspire confidence in the medical care provided if injured. the only problem was it was horrific.
    Black guy burned in petrol fire, skin scrubbed of with nail brush
    ,50 round in the eye, removed by bfo forceps
    lower jaw shot off. etc, etc,etc
    lots of green faces and keeling over, not the desired effect.

14. My favorite was Medicine in Vietnam, made a lot of people sick when they peeled the skin of the burns victim who was black. You didn't have to watch it if you didn't want too. Good training vid though.

CTC

15. Just remembered the one about weapon NSPs, the scene in a barrack room in Ireland where a lad gets shot.

Soldier 1 "Oh no, I've killed him!"
    Soldier 2 "He's dead"
    Later the Sgt "I think he's dead"
    Even later, MO in a matter of fact voice "He's dead"

Such a serious message..... so why do it so comically?