Favourite and worst cookhouses youve ever eaten in

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by Chavalryman, Nov 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now that I am older, I certainly appreciate my food a bit more which got me thinking, which or where, is the best or worst cookhouse that have you eaten in?

After all, how many times did you look forward to scoff, after a hard days work, only to have your dreams destroyed at the hotplate.

For me the best (for what it's worth), was the cookhouse at Vimy Barracks in Catterick......

The worst (ironically), was at St Omer Barracks, the spiritual home of every Army Chef....

2. That's because it was a training kitchen, you used to get a lot of the stuff down from the classrooms, plus what was cooked in the main kitchen.
    Strangely enough, we used to rate the offerings coming down from the classes, Navy always came first, Army second and RAF last, but once away from the Depot, that changed with the RAF coming top in my opinion.

3. Gasworks, in Belfast, nothing worse on a cold December night. But then again could you beat the taste of your own Egg Banjo at 02:00 hours ?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Depot Para - shyte scoff

BMH Iserlohn - hotel style food

5. Best - QEMH Woolwich
    Worst - Gaza Bks, Catterick, especially after being told what Pte Cavanagh did to the mayonnaise...

• Like Like x 1
  6. I once got food poisoning from the Cookhouse at CMH in Aldershot. The worst tasting food and worst dining experience though must be at Worthless Down... Best? Normandy Bks in Paderborn was pretty good last time I was there.

7. I did enjoy the food at BMH Munster, but that might have something to do with being a chef, had a room of my own and the pick of anything going as the chefs looked after their own :wink:

Bold - Chef's Special Sauce, hahahaha

8. Short Strand Bus depot in early 70's you could have just about anything when you came in, ie, a massive steak & 3 eggs an a doorstep n a big mug of tea, lovely...mmmm

Cookhouse in Hameln was shiite..

9. Best: HQ (UK) NSE at Shaibah Log Base. Certainly an insight into how the other half live...

Worst: Kitchener Barracks, Chatham. The smell of weeks-old cooking oil pervaded every part of the building and the food was truly atrocious. They must have made a conscious effort to churn out scoff that bad.

10. Best - Shaibiza, Japbat or Thiepval Bks, Lisburn.

Worst - Blandford, the RAF field kitchen at South Cerney on Ex Joint Venture 06

11. Worst: Kitchener Barracks, Chatham. The smell of weeks-old cooking oil pervaded every part of the building and the food was truly atrocious. They must have made a conscious effort to churn out scoff that bad.[/quote]

Agreed but must come close to Southwood Camp

12. Best 3 armd div sig regt St Sebastian Germany.

Worst Central Engineer Park Stratford upon Avon.

13. NO way, the GCH was worse, the food wasnt all that bad,it was the fcuking stairs, having to go up and get your digging kit, so just ram every thing between two pieces of bread job done, until some rupert found out, then we had to go up and down like jack-in-the-box just to get fed.No wonder my knees are screwed

The best, MPA, as a civvi contractor great food for a British base, but almost every Septic base was better, Alconbury was the dogs thingys for steaks and Texmex food

14. Best - RAF Akrotiri

Worst - Bassingbourn

15. BEST
    No1 Company 1st Bn Coldstream Guards field kitchen (various locations) Gulf War 1.

Barry and I were gods.

Favorite
    Car park at Springfield Rd nick.

Great Fun

WORST
    South Cerney transit kitchen.