Favorite whisky and why

Well the wife was dispatched to a Tescos in Dunfirmline and got the last bottle of Talisker this morning. She had to hang around till 10 to pay, serves her right for doing all the supermarket shopping.

Is it any good? Not overly impressed with the Penderyn and whiskey(s) makes me want to boak - too sweet.
I think it's good. But I liked penderyn too. Not the current stuff, but the bottle I had before. I'll dig out the name.

The st Georges I drink was the first batch, 6 bottles in a case.

The distillery is in Thetford or near there. Dads' army museum, Mildenhall and lakenheath, and STANNTA Is close.

Eta I'm partial to Dura Superstition if that gives you some idea of my tastes. And Talisker dark storm.

Bushmills too. I've got a bottle of 18yr and 12(?) from the distillery. I find the younger one a little harsh.

Last edited:
After my palate's limitations were made painfully clear by forgetting which hip flask held scotch and which held cognac- and failing to differentiate the two by taste- I buy the cheapest on offer. Although snobbery still compels me to stick to single malt or the occasional bottle of Chivas or Black Label. I don't buy French brandy though- at least I can recognise Asbach!

I think it's good. But I liked penderyn too. Not the current stuff, but the bottle I had before. I'll dig out the name.

The distillery is in Thetford or near there. Dads' army museum, Mildenhall and lakenheath, and STANNTA Is close.

Did a tasting tour at St Georges, it's just past Snetterton race circuit, if approaching from Norwich. Being an Oatmeal Savage I went with an open mind but prepared to be unimpressed. Our tour guide was David Fitt, the head distiller there. I really enjoyed his take on whisky, 'No such thing as bad whisky, or good whisky, it's either whisky you like or whisky you don't' . As for the whisky itself. I thought it very good indeed. Not better, not worse than any Scotch (or indeed any other variation), single or blend, just different, in a good way. Very impressed with the Chapter 15. A good way to spend a couple of hours, with a generous tasting session of 5 different and interesting whiskies lasting an hour.

spins

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Decided to treat myself to membership of the Lakes Distillery Founders Club.

I'm a big fan of their 'The One' blend and they're a nice bunch of people. We're doing some joint marketing and events with them at the hotel in the summer.

Happy to help them out and I reckon it's not a bad deal to be honest. 700ish quid and I'll get a special edition bottle of their single malt every year until 2026, plus miniatures so I can see how it's coming along.

You also get invited to tastings, dinners, special tours and other events. Plus a cheeky discount on everything in the shop and bistro.

If you haven't been, I can highly recommend it. The tour is brilliant, restaurant is good, whisky is superb.

Definitely try 'The One' it's bloody good.

Lakes Distillery

Did a tour of the Bruichladdich distillery a couple of weeks ago. The dame who took us round had nice legs but was clueless about the process of making the stuff. They were really open handed at the end of the tour though, and it seemed to me that there was no limit on what you could drink. I certainly had 5 drams but the Leader of the Opposition said it was 6.

Anyway to the point; I usually stick to 12 year olds, cos they are readily available, and the price is not extortionate. But on the BL tour I had the opportunity to try their 18 year old, and being on hols in Argyll, one felt one had to try a number of other 18 year olds in various bars and hotels. I have come to the conclusion that I prefer 12 years old, the 18 year olds seem to be more like a whack on the face, whereas the younger ones are more a gentle caress.

I know that aficionados prefer the older drams, but I don't. Does this mean that I am just a lightweight when it comes to Whisky, am I alone in actually preferring 12 year olds?

My tastes are pretty limited. In terms of favourites I restrict myself to those drinks distilled in Scotland and Ireland.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I normally prefer vodka - but to be fair both Jameson's and Maker's Mark seem to work quite well. I also enjoyed the Bushmills Single Malt.

A long time ago, I worked in the vittlin' trade for a while. Tried all sorts. Had a warm regard for Dimple Haig at one point.
1529427564628.jpeg

The only Scotch blend I ever got on with was John Begg's Old Blue Cap ( By appt to His Late Majesty King George )

Last edited:
My favourite whisky is Cardhu.

Have a bottle of this in the cupboard.

Eta I'm partial to Dura Superstition if that gives you some idea of my tastes. And Talisker dark storm.

Bushmills too. I've got a bottle of 18yr and 12(?) from the distillery. I find the younger one a little harsh.
Mrs Devex bought me a Penderyn Distillery masterclass for Christmas. We're going up overnight to the area (we actually only live 90 minutes away) and I'm indulging in early July. I like it but it is rather pricey compare to others. Tesco have a range of decent single malts for about £20 a pop, or good blends for a bit less - I might stop by on my way home off nights in the morning.

Whilst I enjoy all whiskies (whisky/whiskey/bourbon) I have a very strong preference for the most peaty/iodine South Islay single malts - Laphroiag, Ardbeg, Talisker ... the nose, taste and after-taste are ... challenging and then fulfilling ... each sip makes me think ‘yes, that’s bloody nice’.

You really need to be careful what you say and how you say it round here.
Yes I wondered if my phrasing was entirely wise, I realised it could be subject to deliberate misinterpretation, but I reposed my trust in the maturity and probity of the ARRSE community, I am sure I will not be disappointed.

Yes I wondered if my phrasing was entirely wise, I realised it could be subject to deliberate misinterpretation, but I reposed my trust in the maturity and probity of the ARRSE community, I am sure I will not be disappointed.
" I will not be disappointed" you will be on ARRSE

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Whilst I enjoy all whiskies (whisky/whiskey/bourbon) I have a very strong preference for the most peaty/iodine South Islay single malts - Laphroiag, Ardbeg, Talisker ... the nose, taste and after-taste are ... challenging and then fulfilling ... each sip makes me think ‘yes, that’s bloody nice’.
Point of order. Talisker is from the isle of skyke. Otherwise agree with every word.

I'm common, me. I like Glenmorangie. Though since they changed the name of the Port and Sherry finished single malts (my favourite) to foreign heathen gibberish and jacked up the price I haven't bought any of them to any great extent.

We have very similar tastes in whisky.
My strong preference is for Islay single malts, and I occasionally enjoy what I call a tour - start in the North with something like Caol Ila, and work my way South, finishing with an Ardbeg.

Auchemtoshan, Glasgow whisky , smooth and gentle
Ha ha! Not often you see “ Glasgow” and “smooth and gentle” in the same sentence.
Though, I agree with you that Auchentoshan and other lowland single malts have a charm of their own and can be a delightful change. I once had a bottle of Rosebank from Falkirk, which was lovely.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
morsk The NAAFI Bar 211
ThunderBox The NAAFI Bar 112
H The NAAFI Bar 50