Faux Science...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Litotes, Jun 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was always taught that when weather conditions deteriorated and a lightning strike was possible, it was best to be inside a vehicle or a building. If caught in the open air, holding anything metal (like a golf club or an umbrella) was a really bad idea and standing under a tree was a definite no-no. During a severe storm, divesting one's self of all metal objects and lying down in a hollow was probably the best idea, particularly on a hill or mountainside. Those instructions always came with the caveat that lightning was little understood and might perform in an unexpected way.

But, here we have so-called experts saying that an iPod "saved" the girl:

Lightning strike

So, if the iPod "saved" the girl, how come the boy, who presumably was not wearing an iPod, was fit enough to carry her to safety?

Unfortunately, crap science abounds on the Internet...

Do you have any more suggestions of crap science?

Litotes

2. Its obvious, the boy must have been shorter than the girl!!!!
    In addition if he wasn't wearing an Ipod then the lightening would naturally aim for her electircekery conductor hanging out of her ears....
    The moral of this story is that should you be caught in a lightening storam and be carrying an Ipod, hand that Ipod to a mate and they will be struck by lightening instead of you!

On the other hand I may be talking absolute bollox.

3. Speaking scientifically you understand...The bolt obviously hit her when she was listening to the Lightening seeds (Oh lucky you perhaps?), assuming this was the case and she was wearing it in breast pocket it thought what's that dross i'm off before reaching her heart. Moral of the story is to keep playing tosh on your IPod it might just save your life. Her boyfriend who wasn't wearing an IPod but managed to carry her to safety, must have been wearing his Rubber Wellies, on his feet i assume.
    Both seem like good methods of preventing electrocution from lightening strikes, that being the case, if you see a bloke walking down the street wearing fishermens waders and listening to an IPod then do say hello!...By the way does it have to be an IPod or will any form of personal stereo do??

4. You are right (trees/clubs/umbrellas etc).
    In 1994 I was on Deangate Ridge golf course near Chattenden with a chap call Fred P***y and Canuck fella, storm had just passed but we were suddenly knocked to the ground by a "fcuk you!" strike. Mind you, we were holding a golf club each, and standing under a tree.......
    We finished the game, badly, then reported to the MO of 12 RSME Regt who panicked like a girl, did blood tests etc - we had all had the equivalent of a mild heart attack (enzymes in the blood or some such technical sh1t).
    Got me a few days off work, but a terrible fcuking ribbing in the mess for weeks afterwards.

5. And don't be walking yer dog holding a wet lead. Or patting a cow.

6. Ms Chickenbalti phoned accusing me of leaving the Welsh out of the advice loop.

They shouldn't be doing that to a sheep up the valley anyway should they ?

7. Not a suggestion as such, but if anyone would like to swap an Ipod for a pair of rubber soled wellies, PM me.

8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I dont think the rubber wellies do an awful lot of good tbh - that much energy is going to do bad things to you regardless of whether you're wearing wellies or a full gimp suit.

9. According to some program I saw about the subject, treated in a serious way, the best advice if you had to go out in a thunderstorm was to get thoroughly wet. The electricity then is conducted along the wet surface of the body without so much damage apart from surface burns; dry people apparently get much worse injuries when the bolt bursts through the skin to the nearest conductor i.e. the bloodstream, and then out through the soles of the feet.

Would prefer not to test it for real, however.

10. I recall an erstwhile colleague of mine had good lightning drills. He was standing next to me in the open, on a hillock, wearing a (pre-clansman) radio with a nice tall antenna in the middle of Salisbury Plain. He was also a good 6 inches taller than me. At the first sound of thunder he was at the bottom of the hill sans radio before I could say "wazat?". :eek: Once I twigged that I was now the highest point in the locality I followed.

11. Seve Ballasteros was once asked what he did on the golf course if a lightning storm started.
    "Hold my No 1 iron in the air", he said, "Not even God can hit a 1 iron".

12. Rather wellies than an Ipod anyday ;)

13. Say a quick prayer to Thor before the thunder storm arrives; Thor's a good egg and won't slot you if you show proper respect... :viking:

14. Where as standing on a hill waving a sword in the air shouting that the "Gods are crazy!" might result in an adverse reaction. :pissedoff:

15. Should have held a 1 iron. Even God couldn't hit a 1 iron.