Faulty Shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Tartan_Terrier, Feb 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just come back from the clay pigeon range where I had a rather shocking experience.

I was at the stand, and was was closing the gun after loading it when all of a sudden there was a large smoking hole in the snow just in front of me! Obviously I was a tad perturbed by this. The bloke who was firing the clays for me says I must have touched the trigger. I was sure I hadn't, but decided to try again anyway. This time I managed to close it with no problems, but I didn't manage to shoot as my 24 clays were used up (it's an automated system where you pay for the number of shots and it's added to the card). I then tried to open the gun, only to end up with yet another smoking hole in the snow.

Both times the gun's safety was on and my fingers were nowhere near the trigger. Before I leaving the range I tried replicating the fault with snap caps rather than live shells, and discovered that it fired on opening or closing nearly every time. When I got home I gave the gun a quick wipe over and tried replicating the fault again, but couldn't.

Obviously it's going to the gunsmith on Monday, but does anyone have any idea what the problem is likely to be?

Could the cold have any effect since it's working fine at home?

Anyone had similar issues?

Cheers
    T_T

2. Thats scary.

Was it both barrels, or just one? Single trigger or two?

Could conceivably be a damaged trigger or safety sear, and the warmth at home expands the metals just enough to cause it to bite.

3. Really dodgy, what make is it?

4. I had the same problem on a DB folding spanish .410. The sear had worn and would on occasion go off when the gun was closed. The trigger pressure was unaffected. Serves me right for spending money on a spanish folding .410 I suppose!

Edited to add - I then bought a new sear for 6 quid and fixed it myself. So don't discount the DIY route!

5. It's a Winchester Model 91 with double triggers. I've had it for a few months but this is the first time I've really used it.

It was only the bottom barrel which fired. One other thing I did notice was that the rear trigger (top barrel) was somewhat stiffer than usual. This has also cured itself since I came home.

6. If you bought it in a shop, take it back & get your money back! If not contact the person you bought it off & do the same! I would think twice before ever using it again! If the person claims to fix it ensure you have written evidence the repair has been carried out or you could find yourself on the wrong end of a law suit should you injure or god forbid, kill someone with an accidental discharge!

7. There was a safety recall of Winchester 1001 over/under shotguns, but I don't find anything with the 91. Made in Spain by Laurona I think, reasonably reputable firm.

I've encountered a few flaky good quality O/Us, usually the bottom barrel misfiring but not one that's liable to take a leg off. Unlucky. Get a gunsmith to look at it. I'd not use it and frankly I'd be rather eager to trade it in.

8. Take it to your armourer/gunsmith, in my professional your gun may be proper f@cked the alternative is take it to the old bill and disclaim it, they will destroy it. Then you can pick a new gun that is not trying to kill you.

9. :? Why take it to the Fedz? Your first idea is better!

10. Even if it is a 30 year old gun, it should still have been in safe and usable condition when you bought it from the seller. No doubt there is a Sale of Goods act reference to cover this but in the first instance I would contact the seller (as you bought it relatively recently) to get it repaired for you at his expense. Should not be a big job if it is just the sears. If you got it through a dealer, he should agree to do it to maintain his reputation - he wouldn't want it to be known he was selling unsafe weapons. If it was from an individual, there is a chance he might say "caveat emptor" or "no chance" 8) ,in which case it is still worth getting it fixed at a dealer. Still a lot cheaper than buying another 12-bore!

But don't hand it in to the police - a malfunctioning gun is nothing to do with them and we don't want to be giving them ideas........

11. This brings back memories as I bought a 12b FEG o/u for £80 (OK, it was 1977) and it duly arrived in the mail from an individual in Merseyside.... 8O
    This thing doubled (both cartridges firing at the same time) roughly once every box of cartridges. I lent it to a left-handed friend to use on a skeet round and the Monte Carlto stock smacked him in the nose so hard when the gun doubled that he bled copiously from both nostrils for some time. :D

Oddly enough, the vendor never responded to my pleas for my money back. Not the finest advert for Eastern European manufacturing.......

12. I took it back to the shop yesterday, and am now waiting to hear the verdict from their gunsmith.

13. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I've got a lad here at work who is a bit of an expert with Winchesters, I have just googled Winchester 91 and the first pic that came up looks just like the one he has been tinkering with for the past 6 months. He's gone home now but I will ask him on the morrow if he knows of any reason this might happen.

14. When you say double triggers, I presume that is recoil activated selective. i.e. whichever trigger you choose to use for 1st bbl will then discharge the 2nd if depressed again?

I still have a Laurona O/U that my Dad bought in mid 1970's which has that system. He told me it once did pretty much the same thing and that was down to oily crud having built up in the mechanism over time, so possibly a cold shoot could have caused things to stick in much the same way.

Once cleaned up no more problems and in the 10+ years I have had it never experienced the slightest difficulty.