Fatigue and loss of strength

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by WhiteHorse, Aug 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

I have been trying hard to stay in shape since passing 40, I have been training at least 4 times a week and found myself in a postion where I could do the 1.5 with over a minute to spare and the rest of the tests easily. In the last month or so I stepped up my efforts in an attempt to show that even an old duffer can really breeze the PFT, I've even lost half a stone over the last 3 months.

However 2 days ago and again today I've had a nightmare, I've had no go and no strength. I did my 1.5 and I'm sorry to say it took over 15 mins. My muscles feel good and I'm not out of breath I just couldnt get going on returning home and showering I feel like I havent done anything. Have I overdone my training? If so how long do I rest for? I've the regt PFT next week and I can't look a cnut, any ideas?

2. You need to see a doctor and get checked out.

If he is certain that everything is fine then it is probably overtraining. In the past I have had the same kind of symptoms, like you just have no life left in you.

Do not train again till you are itching to get out the door, this may be a couple of days or it may be a couple of weeks, your body will tell you when.

3. I would agree with this,have a rest and see how you feel.

4. sorry mate, your over 40 and hit the wall, it happens. Take a rest, its an age thing

5. Absolute rubbish. Please take no heed.

6. Definately go to see the doc and get a blood test.

If it's nothing serious then it could be you are over doing it. But it seems strange that you were getting on nicely and even improving your time and then all of a sudden you have no energy.

Ignore the 40 thing, tis rubbish

7. the problem may be as simple as nutrition, its possible that you had not taken on enough carbohydrates, and thus resulting in a lack of energy.
    Or maybe you just had an off day?
    i reckon you should have a 3-4 day rest and see how it goes from there

Armed

8. agreed, I am only 26 and find I have the same problem occasionaly.. think it is an iron problem. give yourself a few days rest and you will be back to normal.. it may be that you body is run down and you need to accumulate a certain type of vitamin that is effecting you capability.

As you have said, you have done more that you are usually used to.

If your doctor requests a blood test, try to exercise prior to the exam to see what your body is lacking in nutritionally.

Don;t worry about the PFT though, I would say that the best course of action is to REDUCE your exercise for now as others have said and then take it steady, perhaps train once or twice prior to your regt PFT. Resting is as important as the exercise itself with regards to personal training and I would aim to get 7-8hrs kip if poss. Most of your problem may be psycological with regards to worrying about your regt PFT which can hinder your overall performance. Just try your best on the day.

Best of luck to you and just relax!

9. could be a testosterone problem

might need a boost

10. Thanks for all the help, trip to the Doc tomorrow. Today I've rested as I feel awful.
    I had noticed recently that after a bit of fizz I didn't get the usual buzz. I began to notice this about 2 weeks ago, I just didnt have the spring in my step I normally had, I guess I should have seen this coming.

Thanks again, I'll let you know what the Doc says.