Fathers Medals

It fell to me to clear my Fathers council house when he died and when doing this I found no medals relating to his WW2 service.

I have a number of items from his service such as his discharge book but no medals.

He finished the War as a WO1 in REME but he served in India as an Instrument Technician and I'm lead to believe that he would have had the rank of sergeant automatically due to being a British Servicemen serving in the Indiam Army. Is this correct?

Back to the medals! Is there a way to find out if he was awarded any medals and if so what they were or is this complicated by him having served in India?

Service in India did not automatically entitle you to the rank of sergeant, although suitable qualified members of certain Corps like the REME and Royal Engineers did. My Grandfather was an Engineer who went from L/Cpl to S/Sgt in India as a result of a promotional technical course.
If he spent his service in India then his medal entitlement could be limited to a Victory service medal and a 39-45 star. But to get his entitlement you need his Regimental Number and service details and then get onto the Army Medal Office.

ugly

LE
Many British Army units were on the strength of the Indian Army pre 1947.

I applied for my fathers medal(s) many years ago, as previous posters advise, contact the medal office with all relevant details, Google will help. ....he received his service medals several weeks later.

It fell to me to clear my Fathers council house when he died and when doing this I found no medals relating to his WW2 service.

I have a number of items from his service such as his discharge book but no medals.

He finished the War as a WO1 in REME but he served in India as an Instrument Technician and I'm lead to believe that he would have had the rank of sergeant automatically due to being a British Servicemen serving in the Indiam Army. Is this correct?

Back to the medals! Is there a way to find out if he was awarded any medals and if so what they were or is this complicated by him having served in India?
Medal entitlement would depend on whether he served solely in India or in an operational area-and, with India, that could mean crossing from one river bank to another.

As a minimum, he would have been awarded 1939-45 Star and the War Medal. IF he was on the Roll of the Indian Army (though you say he was REME) then he would also be entitled to the Indian Service Medal for 3 years service:

India Service Medal - Wikipedia

Again, IF he served in the Indian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (IEME, formed in 1943 from staff already with Indian Army Ordnance Corps), then he would have qualified for the above medal.

If not, then he may have qualified for the Defence Medal:

Defence Medal (United Kingdom) - Wikipedia

For that, he would have needed 6 months service in any of the following areas (remember what I said about which bank of a river you happened to be stood on?)
  • Bengal and Assam, west of the Brahmaputra, from 1 January 1944 to 2 September 1945.
  • Ceylon from 3 September 1939 to 8 May 1945.
It is also possible that he may have qualified for the Burma Star:

1560772335316.jpeg

Burma Star - Wikipedia

The award criteria for this is about half way down the linked page.

I'm surprised that there's no mention of any awards in his Red Book: still, no matter-make an application here and you'll find what you're looking for:

Get a copy of military service records

Good luck!