Fathers medals

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by Smoking_Sigs, Mar 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know the score with the wearing of fathers and other relatives medals?

2. You are allowed to wear them in Mufti, but not in uniform, allways on the right breast

3. Are there any stipulations on the relation?

What about step-fathers and father-in-laws??

4. I think it is only immidiate family ie father, brother son etc. Dont know what the regs state :oops:

5. Just buy yourself some old medals from eBAy and crack on. As many as you want.

6. You can wear your fathers medals on NO 2's on the right breast, Remeberance day

7. What about grandparents?

8. They can too if the are still alive!

9. From what i hear.
    If in uniform its only immediate family, i.e ya dads. and then only on the right hand side.

If you wish to wear your grandads then again on the right side, but in Civvys only

10. As I type this reply, I proudly have my late grandfathers medals to hand. I am serving member and have some info that I hope you can use. I contacted th e MoD when my grand poppy passed away to find out the history behind the medals - when he was awarded, what for, dates etc and the info I got back was fantastic, all his postings, and a full history of his service history from 1933 to 1953.

As for wearing of the medals the wording and regulations from the MoD Medal Office is as follows:

"There are no regulations which govern the wearing of medals awarded to persons who are deceased. Although it is not formally authorised, it has become an acceptable practice for Next of Kin or Legal Beneficiary (when in civilian dress) to wear deceased persons insignia as a mark of rememberance on suitable occasions if they so desire. (The most notable is Remeberance Sunday Parades and Services). When so doing, the medals are worn on the right hand breast in civilian dress only. The custom of wearing other persons' medals in this manner does not offend either the Army Act 1955 section 197 or the emotional tribute to which such wearing is intended".

For further info contact Army Medal Office MoD, Government Office Buildings, Droitwich Spa, Worcestershire, WR9 8AU Tel: 01905 722323 Ext 8732 (Checkj this number first as I dealt with them in 1999. The No may have changed.

For a Printed history or the historical records, you need to contact the following:

MoD, Bourne Avenue, Hayes, Middlesex, UB3 1RF Tel 0181-573-3831 Ext 320 (Again Check as this I used in 1995 the details may have changed)

Hope it helps you mate.........good luck

11. On the same point, I wear my late grandfathers medals on special occasions. It not only makes meel feel better to wear them to carry on what he did every year, it's great down the leigon after, as all the old boys stock you up with ale and you get hammered remenissing of the old days for free. LOL

12. The rules on wearing your father's medals are as follows; The medals must be Allied forces issue medals (no nazi iron crosses!) and they must have been awarded to your natural father who will be deceased. They can only be worn on Rememberance day and on the right side only of your number 2 dress uniform. People who say it is not right for you to wear them are people generally who's fathers didnt win any medals and so they are jealous of you. They have no real life.

ON A DIFFERENT NOTE: THERE NEEDS TO BE A RADICAL OVERHAUL OF WHAT THE CCF AND THE ACF ADULT NCO's OFFICERS ARE ALLOWED TO WEAR. ON MY LAST PARADE THERE WAS AN OFFICER WHO HAD ONLY BEEN WITH THE CCF SINCE 2001, HAVING NO FORMER SERVICE AND WHO WORE A QUEENS JUBILEE MEDAL. THERE WERE THREE DIFFERENT LANYARDS BEING WORN FOR ADULTS AFFILIATED TO 2nd BATTALION ROYAL ANGLIAN, SOME COLLAR DOGS POINTED INWARDS AND SOME OUTWARDS. JUST ABOUT EACH SGT CARRIED AN NCO's CANE, EACH W.O. CARRIED A PACE STICK, I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THEY HAD NOT BEEN ON A DRILL COURSE AT PIRBRIGHT. OH YES, THAT OFFICER WEARING THE QJM EVEN HAS HIS CCF RANK ON HIS CREDIT CARD.....SAD OR WHAT!!! THIS MAKES A COMPLETE MOCKERY OF THE WHOLE DRESS CODE. RIGHT THEN ACF/CCF ADULT NCO's AND RUPE.. ERM, I MEAN OFFICERS, LET'S HAVE YOUR FLACK!!!!!!! BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Actually I am not sure that this is entirely correct. During the second world war there was a German Jew who served in the REME and was awarded campaign medals including the Africa Star. In a previous incarnation said German was a WW1 pilot who had been awarded the Iron Cross and German campaign medals. He was allowed to wear all his medals and they are now on display in the museum at Tangmere.

Unusual case I admit but there is always something to disprove the rule.

14. As far as the ATC are concerned, the rules & regs for what our Cdts, Adult SNCO's & Officers are allowed to wear, how to wear it & what they can carry are all laid down in Air Cadet Publication 20B (ACP20B), issued & updated by HQ Air Cadets at the RAF College Cranwell.
    Our Adult SNCO's are only allowed to carry Pace Sticks if they have completed both the SNCO Trg Course & Drill Instructors course at the Air Cadet Trg Centre, RAF College Cranwell. (Run by Regular RAF Regiment Drill Instructors)
    If our Staff are improperly dressed, then it is the indivdual at fault for not familiarising themselves with ACP20B.

Almost all CCF Cdts I have seen have been a complete shower (& the RAF Sections wear the RAF cap badge! Yep, this grips my s###!).
    A propotion of the ACF organisation is unfortunatly the same as the CCF, from what I have seen.

15. Hey guys and girls Am looking for a definitive answer on the wearing of Medals!!

Am I right in thinking / believing it isn't right that children wear miniatures of parents medals on a parade when the parent is still ALIVE and SERVING and also attending the parade with them?

I have never heard of an 'entitled' family member wearing the medals of an alive and serving military member? Correct me if I am wrong?? ( The child is wearing Medal on the left that was presented at unit level for the recognition of their 'separation/service' on her parents return from afghan so I guess this is 'acceptable' all be it an unofficial medal)