Fatherland; Robert Harris

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by J_D, May 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. J_D

J_D LE

This book's story revolves around 'what if Hitler won WW2', establishing a reign in 1960's Europe by Germany.

I found this book fascinating, however, I also was having some trouble losing myself within the plot because I kept correcting the history in my own mind. But to me, this was a good read, full of secrets to be uncovered and political intrigue, the book was hard to put down.

It was a strong book but the ending was a little too weak for my liking, however, Robert Harris had put a believable spin on something that could have happened.

Has anyone else read this book and what were your thoughts?

2. Is it in welsh like the title?

3. I read it many years ago and found it a very good book. I do believe that a film was made as an adaptation of the book.

4. I also found the book to be a very good read and much better than the film (which i found as a slight let down). Did it star Rutgar Huer?

5. HBO made the film adaptation, starring Rutger Hauer.

Bit of a novelty, having an SS officer as the hero.

Harris hated it, but many think the film's ending was far better.

6. I really enjoyed the book, and fund the "what if Germany had won" plot to be food for thought.

It sent me on a bit of a Robert Harris Binge, but found some of his others to be disappointing (especially Archangel (stalins secret son hidden in the woods))

I think Fatherland was by far his best. (ive not seen the film)

7. I enjoyed the book Fatherland.
    I read a similar book to Fatherland set in the UK (i.e. Germany winning the war) .
    It was about a British Detective with a son (no mother on the scene), who worked with/under the Gestapo.
    There was something to do with "prosthetic limbs" being vital to the case as well IIRC.

8. Yep it starred Rutger, shame the SS caps looked more like Milkmens than the Waffen SS style you would have xpected them to wear! British made (BBC with HBO money) movie - Miranda Richardson (Queenie from Black Adder) was very good as the American journo.

9. J_D

J_D LE

I didn't know the book had been adapted to film, is it worth watching?

10. I was dissapointed with it.
    But most, if not all adaptions of books, are.

11. Miner - the book was called "SS-GB". I think it was by Frederick Forsythe.

12. Thats the fella!!
    By Len Deighton.

13. Ooops - indeed it was. Long time since I read it.

14. Think that was SS-GB by Len Deighton

Edited to add: damn you beat me to it