fate of German spies in Britain?

Hanged, old boy, hanged. I'm hung but the condemned are hanged.
The use of the word "hung" when people mean "hanged" is one of my pet hates. Even MSM presenters do it unfortunately.

BlackDyke

Old-Salt
Apparently there are a slew of rumours around the Sue Ryder charity, in rehoming and rehabbing post war Germans
Do you remember the poster known as Bounce_Banana?
Always on about Kent based conspiracies and associated Castleshorrt stuff.

He said something was iffy in the Sue Ryder stable but when he was asked to put out he descended into his normal gobbledygook.

Do you know anything about it, any links or stuff?

Same as ours over there, really. If they were of value, they lived. If not, they were executed under the Commando order. What would you choose?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

He said something was iffy in the Sue Ryder stable but when he was asked to put out he descended into his normal gobbledygook.

As they were formed in 1953 I'm going with moon howling idiocy.
here's the Danster in full dribble

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer

That’s strange. And I’m afraid the answer is not much. To sit final exams you needed a dark suit. So I was raiding charity shops, one of them was a Sue Ryder shop in Headington (I think)

There was an old timer, ex Ox & Bucks, drank in what we considered our local.I used to send a small one in his direction. He had spotted me coming out of it.

That’s where it all started, allegedly the Sue Ryder crowd were involved in rehabilitating and moving ex Nazis to take part in the upcoming fight against the red menace.

Since then, usually in the strangest of settings there’s always someone who agrees with the story, never adds much...... hold on there’s someone at the door.

I'd like to know whether the anecdote about PG Wodehouse briefing up friendly Germans (in Vichy France?) on how to be English is true.
Some German spy, freshly landed, walking around dressed like something out of Jerome K Jerome approaching a copper with 'Hello alt chap! tootles pip dontcha' genau was!

Promptly arrested and shot.

I can't find the link to it now.But we lost a lot of agents in Holland. Ongoing for ages,due to a spat between MI5 and SOE IIRC. A lot of the information still not released into the public domain.

I'd like to know whether the anecdote about PG Wodehouse briefing up friendly Germans (in Vichy France?) on how to be English is true.
Some German spy, freshly landed, walking around dressed like something out of Jerome K Jerome approaching a copper with 'Hello alt chap! tootles pip dontcha' genau was!

Promptly arrested and shot.
Wasn't that Will Hay in "The Goose Steps Out"?
(On Talking Pictures on 28/9/19 at 06:00. It's worth a watch).

Last edited:
I don't think making broadcasts deserved the noose.
Treason that costs lives yes but broadcasts no way.
My grandmother told me that Lord Haw-Haw was regarded as a comedy show during WW2.
Joyce was hanged on a technicality and if you read the court transcript it appears that HMG was determined to get revenge even by using iffy legal gambits.
I'm no fan of Joyce and his ilk but I believe that the use of Capital Punishment for non-murder offences is wrong.
I think it’s wrong to judge things out of the context of their time. Your grandmother might have thought that Haw Haw was a comedy act but most loathed the slimy bugger and found it perfectly acceptable that he was topped.

I think it’s wrong to judge things out of the context of their time. Your grandmother might have thought that Haw Haw was a comedy act but most loathed the slimy bugger and found it perfectly acceptable that he was topped.
Mob Justice is usually like that

In the case of German spies, I've read that their fate depended on the circumstances of their capture.

There was, it seems, at least one agent who would have been a very good and indeed willing subject for turning, but he had been detained in a such way there was a slight possibility that news of his capture may filtered back to Germany so the law was allowed to take its course.

It is possible that an agent could have been landed, with cash and ID documents, and have been absorbed into the community he or she settled in. This was the case with one German agent who was landed in Canada, and later turned himself in. Had he not done so, would his real ID have been established?

_20190921_130008.JPG

Mob Justice is usually like that
We are lucky to be looking back 75 years having won the fight.
For a long time in the war it didn’t look nearly such a done deal. And the consiquences of loosing for most brits was all to aparrent.
Listening to that plastic paddy gloating at every setback and every loss of men must have been tough.
They could have just shot him in a ditch ( his paymasters would have done no better)
But hanging the little shit, ( along with John amery) May have given some small comfort to some mothers who first heard of their sons loss via his sneering tones.

Latest Threads