fate of German spies in Britain?

BlackDyke

Old-Salt
I know that one of them ended up working for the BBC according to a documentary I saw years ago.
All XX committee stuff, fascinating story that appears to have some info still under wraps to this day.

False identities and marked as displaced persons.

Whilst not a true spy but a traitor for sure Lord Haw Haw was (edit) hanged.

Last edited:
The case of Vera Eriksen is an intriguing one, rocked up by German seaplane with two others, all arrested and she was let off...turned perhaps?

Whilst slightly off topic this Israeli article tells the fate of many fifth columnists in Britain who got off lightly for supporting Germany in WW2.

BlackDyke

Old-Salt
Whilst not a true spy but a traitor for sure Lord Haw Haw was hung.
Yeah right.
An Irishman born in New York who was basically hanged for making a false passport declaration.
He nearly got off and his case still causes legal discomfort to this day.
No disrespects BTW Cpt Danjou, not looking for an argument but just my opinion.

I'm always amazed we got the lot. What about our spies in Germany. IIRC the fictitious George Smiley was supposed to have been based on a British spy in Berlin during the war.

Yeah right.
An Irishman born in New York who was basically hanged for making a false passport declaration.
You ever listened to his radio broadcasts ? he deserved the noose and got it.

Last edited:

BlackDyke

Old-Salt
You ever listened to his radio broadcasts ? he deserved the noose and got.
I don't think making broadcasts deserved the noose.
Treason that costs lives yes but broadcasts no way.
My grandmother told me that Lord Haw-Haw was regarded as a comedy show during WW2.
Joyce was hanged on a technicality and if you read the court transcript it appears that HMG was determined to get revenge even by using iffy legal gambits.
I'm no fan of Joyce and his ilk but I believe that the use of Capital Punishment for non-murder offences is wrong.

Didn't agent Garbo become decorated for his part in the deception programme that led up to D-Day, IIRC Ian Fleming was one of his controllers, and he had the Germans sending money in £ Sterling to pay his non-existent network of spies throughout Spain and other countries.

Garbo was awarded the Iron Cross class 1 by the German government for his efforts in "spying for them" and the MBE from King George VI for his work with MI5.

BlackDyke

Old-Salt
I'm always amazed we got the lot. What about our spies in Germany. IIRC the fictitious George Smiley was supposed to have been based on a British spy in Berlin during the war.
That is a good question Fred and I know the George Smiley reference that you state.
However, in the real world I have looked high and low and cannot find any info on British Spies in Germany during WW2, I don't mean SOE or the like but good old fashioned espionage.
If anybody does know about this please post what you know as I would be fascinated to find out.

The scheme was called the Double Cross system. Wiki has an article (the usual caveats about accuracy apply with that site).... Double-Cross System - Wikipedia

There is a book on the subject....

Wasn't the safe cracker Eddie chapman a double agent? he to was awarded the iron cross for his efforts spying for the Germans, while really being controlled from london, a double agent, his life story was made into a film, staring Christopher Plummer.

Wasn't the safe cracker Eddie chapman a double agent? he to was awarded the iron cross for his efforts spying for the Germans, while really being controlled from london, a double agent, his life story was made into a film, staring Christopher Plummer.
He was indeed

Yeah right.
Slightly off topic, but my grandmother's brother was captured in the Desert and his family were unsure if he was alive. Lord HawHaw was required listening as it was regarded as great comedy and actually improved morale. he often named captured personnel intending presumably to make the family feel bad, but when he mentioned Sergeant Ernest Goodwin of the Royal Artillery, captured at Mersa Matruh, a communal sigh of relief was heaved. He returned after the war though he died before I was born.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
A lad I went to school with Lived at Wandsworth Prison, his old man was a guard there
he told me quite a few german spies were hanged and buried in the prison boundaries
just found this on the net

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Apparently there are a slew of rumours around the Sue Ryder charity, in rehoming and rehabbing post war Germans

Latest Threads