Fatally flawed - UK Electrical Safety

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by strima, May 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ladies and gents,

There's currently a campaign gong on the urge the government and general public to cease the use of potentially dangerous safety socket covers.

Basically those little plastic inserts you put into your sockets to stop kids playing with them are not as safe as you're led to beleive.

Please take a few minutes to visit the website and make up your own mind.

FatallyFlawed

If you agree please spread the word.

Sid.

2. ...if it's safe to poke stuff into a plug socket that doesn't have an insert fitted, why is it unsafe to poke an insert into a plug socket?

Also, has anyone actually been harmed by these things?

Also, why is Rolph Harris fronting your campaign? I thought he was dead.

3. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Thanks for that. I have switched off our electricity at the junction box just to be on the safe side and I shall now write a stern letter to my MP. As soon as dawn breaks. I would do it by candle light but candles are a fire hazard.

National Candle Association: Fire Safety - Fire Safety & Candles

If you agree please spread the word.

Iron.

• Like Like x 2
  4. As most houses have an RCD consumer unit it's pretty hard to kill yourself unless you did something chavvy and stupid like having an old fuse box with nails shoved in it.

This means that only the uneducted spawn of poor people who don't matter anyway will die in this manner so panic over.

If they weren't sticking their fingers in electrical sockets they would be accidently drinking mums methadone anyway.

• Like Like x 6
  5. As socket covers are pretty much pointless given that you actually have to insert an earth pin to open the live hole up I find it strangely comforting that people who don't know this simple fact are infinitesimally increasing the chances of removing themselves from the gene pool and wasting money.

Not worth getting worked up about though.

Besides I grew up in a house which still had many of the old unguarded round-pinned sockets and somehow I managed not to electrocute myself.

6. [​IMG]

Small children should be actively encouraged to interact with Mr Darwin

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I like to make toast whilst ironing in the bath. The toaster just fits between the taps if I move the radio to one side and balance it on the iron.

• Like Like x 9
  8. The benefits of this are the nice warm room temperature makes the butter easy to spread.

9. Another medal thread?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Though too much steam makes your toast limp

11. That's what the hair dryer is for.

• Like Like x 2
  12. I see a Nobel prize for sheer genius in your future. See that bloody Einstein never came up with owt practical like that.

13. But if you look at his hair he obviously forgot to secure the 3 bar electric heater to the taps to prevent it falling in with him as bathed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Like I say all the brains and no common sense.

15. Mr. Darwin is our friend.