Fat G1t thinking of joining... advice please

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Mighty-Quattro, Nov 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents,

Been a lurker on arrse for a while now although a civvy, but enjoy the banter.

For the past 6 months I've been getting rid of excess tonnage through diet and excercise (mainly cycling) and I've dropped 7 stone. Although still a fat git I am confident having done that much I can get down to a decent weight by adding some running too and want to keep it that way. I'd also like to do something worthwhile with my spare time so I thinking of applying to join my local unit (RA), possibly with a view to transferring to a REME detachment if successful (I am an engineer by profession). Quite willing to deploy if required, no family commitments so ideal for me in the situation I am in.

My question is, should I drop the rest of the excess weight before rocking up down there, or go straight for it? Or would I be better dropping down to the local ACIO instead of the unit?

All advice gratefully received - useful advice even more so.

2. Unfortunately,the BMI thing will trip you up at selection so sort that out first.Best of luck
  3. I'd get down to a decent weight/size, and 1.5 mile run time before turning up.

On a recent RSC one of the recruits failed the medical and got deferred cos of their BMI even though they didn't look too overweight.

Good luck, if you've shed 7 stone it shows your pretty keen already.
  4. What's your run time (not treadmill run time). I know a lad who dropped his weight from 18st and after 18 weeks of training was down to 10:20 from 14mins, so anything is possible.
  5. I don't know much about recruitment, but well done on shifting 7 stone!

As said, maintain the determination to get fit - which will be harder, as the nights grow longer, the weather gets worse, and the parties mount up - and you'll be fine. (Don't let this spoil Xmas - have a few drinks and eat a bit much a few times - but keep some discipline.)

If you are getting into running for the first time, get some advice about kit, training, etc, so you improve without injury.

Good luck.
  6. The RA will provide you with ample opportunity to regain any weight you lose prior to joining up, so lose as much as you can and try to get your BMI under control first. It'll all go back on sharpish with that lot.
  7. I'd best get my running shoes on - I'll aim to try for the early part of next year.

Thanks all for the help.
  8. Harsh!
  9. Very! But made I larf, though! :lol: :oops: