Faster more reliable ARRSE - SITREP

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, Feb 2, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

We agreed yesterday with Merula to go ahead with the dedicated server (mentioned everywhere else to support our scrounging). The server is in place, much faster (Pentium 2.4 instead of the shared Celeron 800 we're on now for those interested). This should make a huge difference as the site software is very demanding on processor time and we shouldn't keep crashing it. Notice my use of "should" - no plan survives first etc.

This also should happen fairly quickly - I'm hoping within a week, but not promising.

That's it. Bear with it in the mean time please.

2. As an IT expert, I'd like to contribute some of my knowledge on making this new server go even faster. Locate the server casing, and with a tin of red paint, paint stripes down each side. Go faster stripes never fail to increase speed, and women love them.

3. Don't forget a 'neon blue strip light' in the casing itself. I aways thougt it was just 'a light' until I tried one in my computer. But, since it was fitted and switched on, you just wouldn't believe how quick it has become and it remains much more stable.

Well, that's my 'top tip' :idea:

4. And further to PP's suggestion, you may want to exchange the case fan for a blue clear plastic one with LED's in it that spin round. I was shocked at the increase in performance since installing one :)

5. And if anyone finds the above funny, read this. I purchased a super silent processor fan three weeks ago. I couldn't get it to fit on to the processor, so I undid the screws holding the housing that secures the fan onto the motherboard, only I didn't know there's a retaining bracket on the inaccessible back of the board ! I couldn’t be arrsed taken the mother board out, so I super glued the fan onto the processor. It fell off twice. I reattached it for the third time with even more superglue, and a wooden support I made from a picture frame ! Last night it fell off again, so this evening I've reattached it with elastic bands, the wooden frame, a clip board clip and even more superglue lashed all over the place !! Isn’t technology great !!

6. Now that is funny....
    reminds me of my DIY capabilities!

but i'd settle for knowing how to de-frag the hard drive without killing the puter...windows xp...anybody knows PLEASE!

:cry:

7. Right click the drive in my computer, click properties then go to the tools tab and click on defragment now - easy. If it kills the puter, try using gunny's processor fan attachment method. Probably wont help, but your puter is probably shagged anyway :wink:

8. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Sorry about the error messages - thought all was well and then this! I'm working on it.

9. Having problems painting the red stripes? Use masking tape, as this will help create straighter lines.

10. Or alternatively, you could get Merula to point www.arrse.co.uk to server.arrse.co.uk and all will be well again :)

Good Luck

BFG

11. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Well, you've got to admit it is faster! It just doesn't work properly. Can't have everything you know!

12. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Seems to work equally well / badly on both to me. Am still on the case and will sort ASAP.

13. Going like shiit off a shovel on my PC ! All areas are accessible, fast and icons all appear. Preview is extremely fast considering how slow it has been the last few months !! The stripes worked then ??

14. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Are you not getting this at the top:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /net/www/arrse/www/html/header.php:32) in /net/www/arrse/www/html/includes/page_header.php on line 532

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /net/www/arrse/www/html/header.php:32) in /net/www/arrse/www/html/includes/page_header.php on line 538

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /net/www/arrse/www/html/header.php:32) in /net/www/arrse/www/html/includes/page_header.php on line 539

and page hangs?

Merula couldn't see it when testing at their end, but I get it on every page.