Fast-track Promotions

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fertman, Oct 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Couldn't believe it yesterday. On early morning radio Sir Richard Dannat was asked by a phone-in caller if he'd take a job with the Tories and he said Theoretically yes. By early evening Cameron and his Etonian buddies were saying he was as good as invested as a peer of the realm. Now that's what I call a promotion curve!!!!!

2. What really happened was that the General was being interviewed on Radio 5 where he took his chance to have a good pop at Cyclops, but remained noticeably defensive of Ainsworth, while masquerading as an apolitical figure.

He was then asked by a caller if he would take a defence related job with Government and he, eventually, said yes in a very unambiguous manner.

However, he'd clearly already been approached before that interview and the Tories were forced into making it public rather than allowing Cameron to announce it in his speech this afternoon.

The caller simply exposed the deal Dannatt had done with Cameron. He didn't open the opportunity up.

The unfortunate result was that it allowed Labour to bring the smearing out into the open. I wish Dannatt well but would remind him that the Tories may like to jump on the Army's coat tails to drum up the patriotic vote but they were also the party that slashed the Infantry regiments, cut training days for the TA and generally penny pinched to the point where by 1985 we'd have had to do a political deal on the Falklands as we'd have had no chance of putting together a 1982 type task force.

3. General Dannett was treated shamefully by this government, they prevented him becoming CDS and kept their poodle Stirrup in situ.

Can anyone blame The Reverand for attempting to carry on his sterling work on behalf of the troops?

Or do we just cast a man of his talent and integrity on the scrapheap?

If the Tories think they will be getting a puppet, they will find themselves very much mistaken.

4. Couldn't agree more. British Army is at war and Government needs to acknowledge that. Wish him well and hope he doesn't just use it to get his peerage and bug out as soon as he can like social climbing Digby Jones did when Brown gave him a business related job.

5. Going from being the head of a first-class, world-famous globetrotting, lifesaving and kickass organisation of 100,000 to being a junior minister deferring to wise sages like David Cameron and George Osbourne (a whopping 38 yrs old) - hardly a promotion. I wouldn't trust those two to run a car boot sale.

6. Now that General Dannett is preparing to engage in "war by other means" he should remember the exhortation: "put not your trust in princes".

I have used the old spelling, the modern equivalent being "politicians"

B

7. Couldn't agree more. British Army is at war with the Government and it needs to acknowledge that. Wish him well and hope he doesn't just use it to get his peerage and bug out as soon as he can like social climbing Digby Jones did when Brown gave him a business related job.
    Roger_The_Cat

8. I was going to try and add a few wise words to this thread... but I can't beat that comment, PD.

Litotes