Fartlek questions

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by mcclurg, Apr 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been trying out some fartlek/interval training stuff recently, and while I feel it's doing me good, and my times are getting better for it, I seem to do distances in longer times.

When I compare my fartlek times over a mile to my PFT times, they seem to be longer. Is this normal, because of the active recovery?
  2. When you do your PFT you are under (a little bit) of pressure, and you have the added bonus of adrenaline (because of the natural competitive element I'm pretty sure you'll have in you) so that will be one of the reasons your time is faster. Also the terrain you're running on is probably different which will have an effect on your time.
    Obviously in your PFT you're going to try and run flat out or as fast as possible over the entire mile, and I'm not sure how far each section of the fartlek training you are running, but I'd hazard a guess you don't sprint for a mile? Which will be another reason for the time differences.
    Carry on doing Fartlek its bloody good for CV endurance, just remember to apply the SPORM and FITT principle.. god I loved good old PE lessons!
  3. Sorry whats SPORM and FITT? x
  4. If you mean it takes you longer to cover the distance that has to be the case - your best effort for a mile (say) 5 minutes, your best effort for 1/4 mile 60 seconds. Time it takes you to recover from such an effort to do another one (say) 1 minute. Total 8 minutes. Running unevenly is always going to take more out of you than running at a steady pace.

Try going out with someone who you can just stay with, ask them to run their best effort for a mile, and constantly let them get away and then close them down. They'll drop you very quickly. There's a reason why athletes don't let the field get away from them.
  5. Good post, just ensure one has a good endurance base to allow for speedwork. No endurance base = no increase of speed + irregular recovery.

Yea, SPORM? FITT? WTF?
  6. erm, if I remember rightly

S= Specificity, ie training specifically for your goals (so in this case CV Endurance and upper body are most useful for getting into basic training)
    P= Progression ie making sure the training sessions are getting harder as the weeks go on
    O= Overload which relates to the FITT principle
    R= Reversibility ie if you're injured, making sure you don't return to your training schedule at the same intensity as you left it, instead tapering for your loss of fitness
    M= Moderation ie don't overtrain because that'll just be counterproductive

The FITT principle
    F= Frequency how often you train, this should gradually increase over your the season or in this case the closer he/she gets to selection
    I= Intensity how hard you train, this should also gradually increase over the season
    T= Time how long you train for, this depends on your situation, if you're in a position to be able to make your sessions longer do so gradually, however if not just apply other componants of the FITT principle
    T= Type eg CV endurance, muscular endurance, muscular strength, agility etc etc, not really that useful to be honest.

Now this was years I go I covered this, so I am open to corrections but I am pretty impressed with how much I remember actually!
  7. fartlek really helped me bring down my 1.5mile run time. I use a HR moniter and sprint, jog between canal locks. Also good 'cos the ground is uneven, gravel and sandy bits better than just tarmac. and no Cars!

edited for mongness.