• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Faro Airport Car Hire

Off to the Algarve in May, and having had a bit of a trawl around for reputable hire car companies at the airport, it all seems that, in Tripadvisor at least, they are all rip off merchants that bill you for damage you haven't done after you have left the airport to return to the UK....

I'm sure they aren't all like that. I'm also pretty sure that many of the posters on this forum have been there.

Can anyone make any positive recommendations for hire car companies at the airport there please?

Thanks.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Off to the Algarve in May, and having had a bit of a trawl around for reputable hire car companies at the airport, it all seems that, in Tripadvisor at least, they are all rip off merchants that bill you for damage you haven't done after you have left the airport to return to the UK....

I'm sure they aren't all like that. I'm also pretty sure that many of the posters on this forum have been there.

Can anyone make any positive recommendations for hire car companies at the airport there please?

Thanks.
I’ve had trouble in Spain but never with Hertz or Avis. Cheap companies have huge queues

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
In fact I ordered an electric car in Mallorca after waiting in a queue over an hour they couldn’t find the car. They ripped me off over £350 for another automatic. Tried claiming from Jet2 holidays when I got back. Use the brands I’ve mentioned

Having done the car hire thing at Faro several times now, I've never had an issue with any of them . . . then again, it helps if you insist (and I mean insist) on dragging one of the English speakers around the vehicle to confirm that all is good, record his name, the date and time before you go anywhere near the airport courtesy bus.

Thanks.
Try Luz Car Algarve Car Hire | Faro Airport Lagos Rent a Car Rental, Hire Algarve | LUZCAR

Only been there once, and we used Herz. Still had some bother as they claimed that we hadn't paid for any insurance at all apart from 3rd party, and that we'd have to pay the full price of the car in the event of an accident.

Forget any of the discount hire firms - they really are little more than criminal scammers.

Surprisingly, one of the worst - Firefly (10k+ strongly negative reviews and counting) - is owned by Hertz. Something very, very wrong with their corporate ethos methinks.

Sadly, I've found that even the big name firms have become highly dubious. It must be some sort of cultural thing on the Iberian peninsular.

I routinely photograph every inch of the hire car before leaving the airport parking slot. Last hire, E-----Car tried to scam me for 1/4 tank of fuel (at about €10/litre) plus body damage. The Alicante branch simply played dumb and sat on the huge credit card payment they'd deducted. I had to go to the UK HQ and make threats before the matter was resolved (fortunately I'd booked via a UK member account).

Take photos of any damage. Check the fuel and that everything (including spare wheel) is there. Parcel shelf, hub caps etc. Make sure it is signed off by one of the reps before you drive off.
Go with a good firm as said, they are less likely to rip you off. And take out insurance cover with someone like insurance4carhire.com. Much cheaper than the hire companies.

Can’t properly remember but it was something like Eurocar sent me off with a tyre that must have been pumped up just before the car was brought round. Tyre pressure light came on within 5 minutes and they tried to charge me for a damaged tyre

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Argus are alright and was satisfied with them at Faro.

Be really careful with cheap companies who take you off-airport to the middle of nowhere in a minibus as it can waste hours. Also the merchants who's fuel policy is collect full and return empty.

I've used ZitAuto for the last 5 years. Not the newest cars but never had a problem with them and they're not too bothered about minor scratches. Also fuel policy is return it with same level it had at the start. Collect and Return from Car Park outside the Terminal and pay in cash!!