Farmers need permission to save their crops!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Dwarf, Sep 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. To allow farmers to save their crops in wet weather they need gubmint permission to deploy heavy machinery otherwise they could be prosecuted under european rules.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article4719724.ece

Me, I would just get the machines in and bugger the consequences. So who will turn the Nelson eye in The UK in this day and age? The local copper, my neighbours, the rural magistrate? How is it that the government can't just let the farmers get on with it like in other countries in europe and then back them up. No, permission must be granted first, I just can't get that.

Also it's another example of how one rule just can't fit the diversity of Europe and all the possible conditions. The ruination of the little man doesn't matter as long as we have conformity in the one state that is Europe.

Surely our EMPs should be made to fight rules like this instead of living on a fat wage to vote away our freedoms and make o so important decisions on the future of the mink farms.

Time to form our own european party for the next elections?

2. The extract below details the current situation. What I struggle to comprehend is the assumption by Govt that it is their role to protect the quality of soil on private property. If a farmer wishes to render his land barren then that is his choice, and his alone.

"European Union rules ban farmers from using combine harvesters on wet land to protect soil quality. Those who flout the ban can be prosecuted. "

3. DEFRA= The Department for the Elimination of Farming and Rural Affairs.

4. Bollock's I have farmer's in my family and they have never heard of this, who is going or indeed able to enforce that sort of rule?....you'd have people yomping all over every country in the EU looking for damp farm land...we can barly stop Italian farmer's from defrauding on their olive crop's and we know exactly when and where that happenes

5. Just because it sounds utterly bonkers and most people have never heard of it does not mean such rules do not exist.

Good Agricultural and Environmental Condition (GAEC) standards mean that Farmers are required to maintain soils, habitats and landscape and can be inspected and protecting soil structures from damage is one of the conditions.

But this is nothing new: was dealt with following the floods last year by suspending these stupid rules that nobody complies with (because you can plough out ruts and use a subsoil pan breaker plough to deal with any soil compaction later)

http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2007/070725a.htm

6. I'll remind you of that when the shops are bare. We're an island, we're reliant on food imports and food security is going to be a big issue of the next few decades.

Why don't we protect the right of the armaments industry to run their factories into the ground, while we're at it?

7. Not to worry mate, we've got a Navy...oh!

8. I may or may not have done my bit by letting down all the tyres of a bunch of wankers making crop circles near Barbury Castle a few weeks ago...

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

If we want to protect our ability to grow crops into the next century, then we have to look after the soil today.

That means taking measures NOW to stop soil erosion. Despite it being widely known that hedgerows protect the topsoil of farmland by acting as a windbreak, farmers today are getting rid of them so that they can have HUGE profitable fields for their big machines to operate in. Screw the wildlife that survives in the hedgerows, screw the fact that over many years, the top-soil will dry and blow away in hot summers due to no windbreaks being there, hey, and while they're at it, nuts to what damage those ruts will cause long term with those ever-heavier machines travelling over the soil.

Of course, those bare-arrsed fields used to be covered it thick forests, teeming with all manner of wildlife, but the farmer's and punter's needs are more important.

Just like fishing - there is a balance to be achieved. If you overdo it now, and don't take precautions, there'll be fcuk-all for future generations.

Don't get me wrong; I appreciate that there are years of bad harvests, and that we must sympathise with farmers when this happens (and pay more for our food of course), and we have to keep paying extra to subsidise farmers as we've been doing for many years - BUT, let's try and keep our eyes on the longer term, because once the soil is gone, once the fish are gone (that's just another example of short term greed wiping out future harvests), once the wildlife is gone, it's fcuking hard to get it back.

One system might cost farmers and the public millions over the years, but the loss of the soil, the wildlife, or even fish for that matter - these things are priceless and may not be recovered.

10. Because as you well know that goes against the priciple of market forces...

Good grief man your be asking for the government to be there to protect the nation next

11. Whilst not being a fan of the EU, there is no such thing as EU rules, only directives that are then used as a basis for UK law. I'm not familiar with this particular beauty being discussed. However, I have had cause in the past to compare EU directives with the resultant UK law (eg meat slaughter) and they are chalk and cheese. The EU directive on slaughter was a well rounded document with plenty of loopholes to allow for local tradition and smaller or remote operations. Guess what? In the UK law, absolutely no loopholes.

Who do we blame here? Common sense EU directives or sloppy, draconian interpretation and implementation by the UK legislative?

12. I thought Margaret Thatcher graduated in Chemistry, not Soil Science?

Or is she pretty handy with a chisel plough?

13. STOP PRESS
    Farmers given three weeks to salvage their crops.

14. Then the present bunch of cnuts handed it all back.

15. A friend of mine quoted on television, ' I used to be a full time farmer and a part time book keeper, now I'm a full time book keeper and a part time farmer'.

From my family:

' We are doing nothing with the wool this time because we can only get 7p a kilo. We told DEFRA we would burn it instead - DEFRA told us they would prosecute us. So it's under those sheets and the boys won't come and pick it up anyway because of the cost of the diesel. We can't even give it away'