Farewell Sqn Ldr John Lutman.

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by blue-sophist, Feb 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

I know this is an Army Forum, but I suspect some of you either knew him or shot against him ...

Sadly, Sqn Ldr A J A (John) Lutman has passed away at the age of 80, peacefully in his armchair.

Despite recovering exceptionally well from a triple heart-bypass operation a decade or so ago, John had suffered from Alzheimer's Disease in recent years.

Within RAF shooting circles, John almost seemed to have been there forever. A former Captain of the Service Rifle VIII and Service Pistol VIII, John probably represented the RAF in other disciplines as well - he was certainly a highly competent exponent of the Target Rifle art. Subsequently, in retirement, John replaced the late Wg Cdr Ron Wilson as Secretary of the RAF Small Arms Association where he served from 1985-1993.

The attached photo may regenerate a few memories of the all-conquering RAF Uxbridge [aka MoD(Air)] Shooting Team in 1980, when John was possibly in his shooting prime of life …
    Rear: Mike, Dave, Alan
    Front: Peter, Piers, John.
    Steps: A skip load of trophies!

The Funeral will take place on 21 February 2012 at The Holy Redeemer Church, St Leonard's, Sussex at 0930. Family flowers only: donations to The Alzheimer's Society should you wish. Make a donation - Alzheimer's Society

Tempus Fugit … and Resquiscat in Pace, John.

2. RIP John.

I have talked to most of those guys in that pic in that very same club house.
  3. I recognised him in the photo, just can't remember where I met him, Bisley or Uxbridge maybe. RIP sir.
  4. blue-sophist

He worked at MoD, so I guess it would have been on the Common ... or possibly in the RAF Club bar?

His knackered old No 1 Blue [bacically pale grey] uniform in which he shot SR, triggered MoD to provide DPM for Stn shooting teams, regardless of scale.

My knackered old SD cap was borrocked by numerous Air Mshls ... when CAS spoke on the topic, I decided to get a beret :)
  5. I shall forward the sad news to my brother, who may have shot with John during his Service days.
  6. On a lighter note "My knackered old SD cap was borrocked by numerous Air Mshls ... when CAS spoke on the topic, I decided to get a beret" Your're not ex aircrew are you, battered headgear was usually considered du rigeur for the aviating fraternity. I do remember in Brüggen mid 70s the then Commanding Officer, a certain Mr Jaguar, on seeing a less than presentable SD hat lying around in the Sqn said "my compliments to that officer, that hat is to be destroyed"
    Mr Jaguar was not the sort of person with whom you could negotiate.
  7. blue-sophist

Not aircrew, but my SD cap suffered mightily in it's early days, and was then subjected to the rigours of a tour in the Far East. Messrs Alkit made fairly fragile SD caps, and it just couldn't stand the pace. It basically went all soft ... and very comfortable, and actually lasted nearly 30 years. Photo is early 90s.

John's old No.1 uniform was infinitely worse. I'm not sure it didn't even have leather elbow patches!! :|
    Of course, Crabs weren't issued with combat dress unless deployed or RAF Regt. So what could we do?

SD Cap.jpg
  8. blue-sophist

Just to close a Chapter, this by email this morning [much redacted for Persec] ...