• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Farage Tirade agaisnt EU President

BBC

A British Eurosceptic MEP has unleashed a volley of insults against the President of the European Council, Herman van Rompuy.

Nigel Farage, UK Independence Party (UKIP) leader, said Mr Van Rompuy had "the charisma of a damp rag".

He compared the former Belgian prime minister to a "low-grade bank clerk" and said he came from a "non-country".

The attack, which stunned the chamber, came as Mr Von Rompuy made his maiden appearance in parliament in Brussels.
Well said Mr.Farage.

Has made up my mind that UKIP, and not the boy Daves limp wristed Torys, are the party for me when the election comes.

edit: Bad grammar.

harareboy99 said:
BBC

A British Eurosceptic MEP has unleashed a volley of insults against the President of the European Council, Herman van Rompuy.

Nigel Farage, UK Independence Party (UKIP) leader, said Mr Van Rompuy had "the charisma of a damp rag".

He compared the former Belgian prime minister to a "low-grade bank clerk" and said he came from a "non-country".

The attack, which stunned the chamber, came as Mr Von Rompuy made his maiden appearance in parliament in Brussels.

Factually accurate comments… :D

Victorian_Major said:
Really? Nobody else here think that Farage and his party can't have much in the cupboard if their best tactic is abuse?
That's why I said he should have laid off the insults, he has a good point and came across well otherwise.

A bloke no-one knows and no-one elected is one of the most powerful men in the world.

Yes he comes from that non-country which stood along side us through two world wars - and got a kicking both times for their troubles. Those bloody uppity Belgians, eh? They should have stayed part of somebody else's country eh?

Victorian_Major said:
Really? Nobody else here think that Farage and his party can't have much in the cupboard if their best tactic is abuse?
Agreed. I cannot work out what Mr Farage was thinking - if anything...!

The English language has several ways in which carefully crafted insults could have been delivered - and no-one in the EU would have realised they were insults until days later when they were explained in the UK broadsheets!!

Perhaps I should start a thread titled "What should Mr Farage have called the EU President?"

Litotes

Litotes said:
Victorian_Major said:
Agreed. I cannot work out what Mr Farage was thinking - if anything...!

The English language has several ways in which carefully crafted insults could have been delivered - and no-one in the EU would have realised they were insults until days later when they were explained in the UK broadsheets!!

Perhaps I should start a thread titled "What should Mr Farage have called the EU President?"

Litotes
His audience was in this country.

mark1234 said:
That's why I said he should have laid off the insults, he has a good point and came across well otherwise.
What point? Take away the insults and what is left?

But if that is the level we're stooping to: Farage is a gobby, middle (seagull) manager at best. Bereft of any ideas or intelligence, he has only achieved anything on the back of his parents' wealth and the gullibility and ignorance of little-Englanders.
He's a slimy, self-serving, hypocritical, treasonous oaf. One of the breed that is trying its hardest to turn Britain into a non-country.

Absolutement Mes Amis..... I hear this on the car radio.... well said Sir. Who is this monsieur...... more of these barrackings from UK MEPs.... and one can see the UK being asked leave the EUSSR Land.... :?

Hopefully....... :p

This man is a representative of the UK?

Gawd help us.

Ottar is bang on here. The thing is a rude, gobby tosser - nothing more.

Daft thing is I doubt if he thinks he is out of line. All he has done is alienate himself from any reasonable (and possibly sympathetic) politician in the chamber.

He now has no power to influence and has no role other than to shock. What a waste of a national position.

Bazzinho1977 said:
Yes he comes from that non-country which stood along side us through two world wars - and got a kicking both times for their troubles. Those bloody uppity Belgians, eh? They should have stayed part of somebody else's country eh?

Dear sahib,

Really I am thinking this is not factually correct.

I am thinking that the wonderful British involvement in WW1 was due to the krautswiners attacking France though Belgium, and thus breaking the treaty of London and breaking Belgian neutrality.

Also I am thinking Britain created Belgium under the Treaty of London after Waterloo, to prevent France from controlling the large flat plain which allowed an army to advance rapidly towards the English Channel and threaten London.

(Indeed sahib, those were the days, when you British could just create another country to solve your defence issues...)

But what would I know. I am just a poor hill soldier guarding this bloody pass.

:)

mark1234 said:
Victorian_Major said:

A bloke no-one knows and no-one elected is one of the most powerful men in the world.
LOL.....

As a representative of the United Kingdom in the European Parliament Forage is an embarassment to our country. He is a practioner of rant who thankfully is giving up his post as an MEP to campaign in the UK general election for the Westminster Parliament.

He was on the 'Today' programme this morning attempting to convince listeners that the justice and home affairs Pillar of competence introduced by the Maastricht Treaty which was purely intergovernmental which has now moved into the general EU Pilllar following Lisbon means that the United Kingdom will now lose the presumption of innocence in our courts and the end of trial by jury!

The man talks absolute and utter nonesence. He is completely incapable of articulating any form of objective fact. Absolutely no way would he be allowed to get away with that sort of behaviour in our own Parliament if people were stupid enough to elect him to it!

Forage is a politician who loves to invoke strong emotion by engaging in rant since he knows very well that emotion, particularly fear, is the dominant controlling emotion which disables the ability for rational analysis in dullards who have been brought up to believe that the validity of a contention is conclusively determined by the volume at which it is shouted.

Well said Iolis, Farage is a shameful but accurate portrait of some of the UK's population (too posh, but rude enough).

This clearly a political stunt to attract the anti-EU lobby, but done in a way which is more like a (public) school's insults. Well done to Herman Van Rompuy for being above this (unfortunately) British idiot. Unelected he may be (although the MEPs have a mandate), but he's shown himself to be far better than Farage.

I quite like Belgium, I have had a lot of fun there. great beaches, good beer and as has been remarked above a shared military history going back to at least the seventeenth century if not beyond. However Nigel Farage should have left Belgium, the nation, alone.

It is the office of the "President" of "Europe" which he should have focussed on and not the remarkably accurate personal characterization of him, rather the fact that he is an unelected figure who wields considerable power, in principle, on the world stage.

Latest Threads