Farage...The next PM?

No. The electorate is the set of people eligible to vote.

Of that set, around 37% actively said an unequivocal "yes, please, Dave" to Brexit.

63% either said "no, but thanks for asking" or "sorry Dave, can't vote today, just not that bothered".

Thus, no, there isn't a majority of the electorate for Brexit.
Wrong.

27.8% of the electorate expressed no preference for either option.

HTH.

BTW, when you were a "JP", was your court in a barrack room?

Were there kangaroos in it?

Mainly for the reasons given earlier here

And here

But particularly because this bit you wrote (which I acknowledge that I have selectively quoted, but which has not had its meaning changed by so doing)
"the majority of the people in the UK, on the evidence of the Referendum, are not in favour of leaving or at least haven't voted for leaving." is duplicitous. It would be at least, if not more of "a true statement with verifiable facts to back it up" to say the majority of the people in the UK, on the evidence of the Referendum, are not in favour of remaining or at least haven't voted for remaining. I'm sure you can now see the problem with what you wrote.

Presumably your command of English is good enough to realise it isn't.

Earlier, you suggested I grow up, now you're suggesting I've grown too old. I wish you would be consistent with your ad homs, as it's as if you can't keep track of what you've said.

But, my dear chap, nobody is claiming that Remain is somehow "the will of the people ".

Frequently, though, the inaccurate statement "a majority of the British people want Brexit ", or words to that effect, are used.

My post is an attempt to explain why that is at best clumsy language.

At worst, it distorts the truth for political ends.

We have a democratic mandate for Brexit.

A majority of the electorate did not vote for Brexit.

But, my dear chap, nobody is claiming that Remain is somehow "the will of the people ".

Frequently, though, the inaccurate statement "a majority of the British people want Brexit ", or words to that effect, are used.

Were you the thickest Pioneer every, did you have to have your job specs explained to your every morning and after lunch?

I would disagree. To be part of the electorate a three stage process has to be passed.

1. Are you eligible to vote?
2. Have you registered to vote?
3. Did you vote?

Fail any of those and you're not in the club.

I'm saying that the Referendum gave a clear, if very narrow, victory for Leave, but that the majority of the people in the UK, on the evidence of the Referendum, are not in favour of leaving or at least haven't voted for leaving.
That is a very dangerous argument to use, and those on the left should be very wary of espousing it. To put it simply:

"the majority of the people in the UK are not in favour of changing the governing party"

Careful of the arguments you make, they can bite you.

That is a very dangerous argument to use, and those on the left should be very wary of espousing it. To put it simply:

"the majority of the people in the UK are not in favour of changing the governing party"

Careful of the arguments you make, they can bite you.
Good one, eat that @Spec-op1989

A majority of the electorate did not vote for Brexit
Equally, a majority of the electorate did not vote for Remain.

Fair to say though that the proportion of the electorate voting for Brexit was greater than the proportion of the electorate voting for Remain. It is not unreasonable to assume either that had 100% of the electorate turned out to vote the proportions would have been roughly the same. It is unreasonable to assume that the non voting members of the electorate were endorsing the status quo.

I would disagree. To be part of the electorate a three stage process has to be passed.

1. Are you eligible to vote?
2. Have you registered to vote?
3. Did you vote?

Fail any of those and you're not in the club.
Your disagreement is misplaced in this inst. By definition the electorate is 'all the people entitled to vote'. If an individual is not entitled to vote for any reason then that individual is not a member of the electorate. A person entitled to vote but not exercising that entitlement is still a member of the electorate.

Our "democracy" is based on presumed consent.

If you can't be arrsed to vote for whatever reason, it is presumed you're happy with the majority decision.
If you're not, then hard cheese, as you had the opportunity to register your dissent & didn't.
Thus the presumed majority in favour of Leave was actually in excess of 60%.

Don't like it?

You should have voted.

Our "democracy" is based on presumed consent.

If you can't be arrsed to vote for whatever reason, it is presumed you're happy with the majority decision.
If you're not, then hard cheese, as you had the opportunity to register your dissent & didn't.
Thus the presumed majority in favour of Leave was actually in excess of 60%.

Don't like it?

You should have voted.
This has cropped up before. The presumed consent is a spurious claim I seem to recall.

I agree with if you're too idle or apathetic to vote then tough titty if you don't like the result.

Equally, a majority of the electorate did not vote for Remain.

Fair to say though that the proportion of the electorate voting for Brexit was greater than the proportion of the electorate voting for Remain. It is not unreasonable to assume either that had 100% of the electorate turned out to vote the proportions would have been roughly the same. It is unreasonable to assume that the non voting members of the electorate were endorsing the status quo.

Your disagreement is misplaced in this inst. By definition the electorate is 'all the people entitled to vote'. If an individual is not entitled to vote for any reason then that individual is not a member of the electorate. A person entitled to vote but not exercising that entitlement is still a member of the electorate.
Agree that's the dictionary definition. But if you don't follow the 1-2-3, democratically you don't matter.

No, it’s not you being a thicko. That’s exactly what he believes based on the notion that those who didn’t / couldn’t be arrsed to vote must be counted as having consented to remain.
The concept of a democratic result relying on the actual number of votes cast completely eludes him.

Tracky, Tracky, patience man, patience. Let him stew in his own juice. I asked him to confirm if I was a thicko. Let him, and him being the operative word, answer. I am waiting speckled one.

This has cropped up before. The presumed consent is a spurious claim I seem to recall.

I agree with if you're too idle or apathetic to vote then tough titty if you don't like the result.
The claim that it's spurious, is itself spurious, otherwise the system falls down & we get the kind of bullshit we've seen for the past three years.
Thus democracy falls...

Agree that's the dictionary definition. But if you don't follow the 1-2-3, democratically you don't matter.
A strange logic indeed.

If enough eligible voters who would normally vote Conservative don't vote /deliberately spoil their papers (because they feel let down by the party) and thus deprive the party of its majority you are saying those members of the electorate just don't matter? Quite a lot members of the electorate chose to spoil their papers (no vote) in the recent local elections - do those people registering a protest not matter

It is an eligible voter's democratic right to choose not to vote.