FANY (PRVC) MUSEUM (WW1 UNIFORMS)

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by DB216LOKDVR, May 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have recently joined an WW1 Living History Society.

Whilst looking for uniforms and equipment in a antique shop, I found what I believe to be a pair of female nurses WW1 web ankle gaiters/spats. I recall seeing an photo of an WW1 nurse wearing ankle web gaiters/spats.

Is thier a FANY (PRVC) museum or does the RAMC museum display female nurses uniforms of the WW1 period?

If anybody has photographs of WW1 nurses in uniform please can they post them.

Thank you.

2. PM Poppy on here, she's a FANY.

3. Thank you, Poppy has PM'd me.

4. I know this is an old old thread, but can someone help me , I run a period troop of cavalry and I want a proper role for my female members, I have a few options but the FANY role is the preferred route, as usual rumours are rife and there are a number of civilian groups all thinking they are doing it right and telling us how to do it..

I am trying to verify the details of the unit in WW1

I have contacted the regiment itself, but cannot get a contact for the museum, I have heard a variety of stories about the museum no longer existing, but would like the definitive answer.

also how accurate are the books in existence?

Steve

5. For the record - the FANY are not and never have been a "unit" of the British Army. They were and still are a civilian charity.

There is a website if you google and they are more a dressy up club for posh "gals" now, so I'm sure you will find them enthusiastic.

6. yeah right..................

I am not, nor have ever been, a "posh gal"

but yes we are a charity

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cheers for the reply and the correction, I have to admit I am finding more resistance going down this road of research than anything I have done in the past.
    and of course dealing with the civilian re enactors associated with them is 'interesting'

S

8. Well you are posher than me.

9. Let us not forget there are/were some very very brave ladies in the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry (now the PRVC - co-located with the London Scottish Company of the London Regiment in Horseferry Road) who also served with the Special Operations Executive (SOE) in Occupied France and Belgium during World War 2. I believe they were warded quite a few Gallantry awards.

10. Everyone's posher than you Reb

11. ah Poppy,
    I was hoping to hear from you,
    can you PLEASE help me?
    I am trying to get this right, and my sanity is at stake here, does the museum still exist?
    if so how do I contact them?

12. Yes, there were also members of the Royal Engineers, the Infantry, the Cavalry, the Royal Marines ete etc etc in the SOE who no doubt received Gallantry awards. They (unlike the FANY) do not go on endlessly about it.

Their co-location with the Londons should not be misconstrued - the FANY are not members of the Armed Forces, they are a (laudable) civilian charity that "man" emergency telephones for the Met Police - I presume it is purely a historical throwback that they wear Army uniforms, by rights they should be in Met Police uniforms as they no longer have a role supporting the Army.

Be interesting to see just how the uniforms they are given are accounted for - written off as a donation to a civie charity?

13. City of London Police actually - and we are no longer based at Horseferry Road

14. Thank you for that Poppy, prior to the Horseferry Road/Elverton Street building they were of course firmly ensconced within another military location, the Duke of Yorks Headquarters on the Kings Road.

However for Hooch's benefit whilst I acknowledge the participation of other Regiments and Corps and their awards, including my own, with the SOE during World War 2, I was hoping he at least could be more magnaminous in his criticism and acknowledge the contribution that these ladies, as civilian volunteers, made to the Armed Forces.

Prior to the introduction of the Khaki No 2 Dress for female members in the Army, the only non-military (civilian) persons and organisations permitted to wear similar uniforms in khaki to my knowledge were the FANY and the Church Army. One other organisation, the NAAFI EFI was ensconced within the RAOC during operations only.

15. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Here are two posh girls in dressy-up mode in 1942:

FANY.jpg

The one on the right is my godmother. In the bitter winter of 1939/40 she had to turn out every hour of the night to crank her ambulance up to stop it freezing. Later an officer in the ATS.

• Like Like x 2