Fantastic story about a Vulcan crash 40 years ago.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Ord_Sgt, Jan 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I hate to praise the crabs but they've really delivered here.

The story of a woman who asked on Pprune if anyone knew her father, who was killed in a Vulcan crash 40 years ago. Read the whole thread, it's heart warming.

Edited for sausage fingers.
  2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Thanks for that O_S, a great and truly moving thread.

Well done to the guys on PP for making it happen!
  3. my mum remembers this happening as she and my dad were about to move to Singapore too. She said it was a very sad at the time as some of those killed had tiny children, presumably Sarah being one of those! Lovely for her to have met so many people who remember her dad.
  4. Cow

Cow LE

Very interesting thread, shows what lengths people can and will go to to help others.
  5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I was just 7 days old that day, but my parents remember it well. Its incredibly satisfying to know that those that have lost family members in the service of their country can find some comfort knowing that those serving today will never forget. It does us all proud and that the women who never knew their fathers know they were something special.
  6. i was 44 days old :D

but luckily my dad was still there unlike Sarah's
  7. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Very uplifting Ord, thanks.

Excellent pic of the families concerned with Peter Tait - the write-up of his ejection is something else.
  8. great piece of military history..
  9. What a crackin thread.....well done Ord Sgt for puttin us on to it :)
  10. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Here's another vulcan crash (I have posted the link before but not AFAIK on this particular forum):

I was at school in Seaham, the current lesson finished and as I walked into the next lesson they were all sat dumbfounded looking at a pillar of smoke where XM610 had just created a smoking hole in the hundred metres between a busy primary school and the village of Wingate a few miles to our south.

Read the link - says it all.
  11. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Jim Vinale went on to fly Black Buck 1. I'd have to check the book: either he flew the mission or was in the primary aircraft which had to abort right after take-off. See Vulcan 607.