Fantastic D-Day pictures

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Alsacien, Jun 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

2. love picture no.23 fantastic album.

3. Thanks.

4. great album. number 39 was really touching.

5. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

Thanks for sharing those.

6. No.2 shows the 2nd Rangers in Weymouth, June 1st

7. Great photos, we were in St Mere Eglis 6 years ago, the whole town has markers everywhere of who landed in whose garden etc. You are stood at a cashpoint machine getting money glance in the window and there are pictures of GIs on the day taking cover in shop doorways. I found the roundel markers (whatever they are called) of where men had fallen name rank unit, exact time of day and date that he died on this spot, very moving.

For the Band of Brothers fans look at the orbat and particularly the 506th PIR Easy Company change of command on the 6th.

http://www.6juin1944.com/assaut/aeropus/page.php?page=101

8. I had a feeling that was Weymouth, thanks for confirming!

9. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Many thanks for finding these pics and putting them up. My gt uncle (Cdr RN & Jutland veteran) landed on Omaha and "spent three days in a hole in the sand waiting for the Americans to sort themselves out". The USN at Omaha had decided not to listen to us, they would do it all differently, they would beach freighters on the tide, unload them and float them off again. Didn't happen like that of course.

For myself I remember as a 7 yr old coming out for morning break and seeing this silver river of aircraft, tall tail fins blazoned, roaring low across the sky. Only years later did I realise that I had seen a small part of D-Day going in.

Besides the D-Day museum in Southsea, for anyone with access, the wall map in what I suppose I must now call the Officers' Mess in what is now the Defence Police College (I think) in Southwick, Hants shows where all the seven thousand ships were at H-Hour. Two unused Mulberry Harbour 'Phoenix' caissons are visible from the public road at Portland.

10. Excellent stuff !!! many thanks

11. Great collection ! Number 10 is gripping. You can't help wondering how many made it.

12. I excuse the US bias! Fantastic pics to which I have not seen, bar two or three......& I'm a WW2 anorak! Good work! Brits could not have done it by themselves, but collectively.....Back of the net!!!!