fancy dress faux pa

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Taff49, Jul 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it just me, or do some people have no sense of humour?
    Myself and the good Mrs T49 were invited to a fancy dress party, said party was being held at the local village hall, which is an old pre WW2 building (think Dads Army drill hall), and the host (he’s called Kev, but in order to spare his blushes, I’ll call him, er, Nev) had opted for a WW2 theme.
    So, at no little cost in time and funds, I gathered together a set of black covies, an Iron Cross with suitable medal (the IC actually dated from WW1), a home-made swastika arm band, a replica Schmeiser P38, a pair of black Doc Martins, and a rummage thru the loft produced a black beret and a 17/21 Lancers cap badge (sorry motto!). Ta-da, instant storm-trooper. While I accept I wasn’t historically accurate, I felt that it was good enough for a mate’s 50th birthday party.
    Arrived at the party to be greeted by Kev, (sorry, Nev) who smiled, grinned, and showed us to the bar. This was followed by much quaffing, and me shouting “for you Tommy, the war is over!” loudly everytime someone new approached me.
    After a few hours, it was brought to my attention that I had caused a female member of the party cry.
    T49 : “but I haven’t even spoke to her”
    Nev : She’s upset mate, have a quick word with her, will you?”

So, off I went to sort out the situation. The lady in question is outside being consoled by now (great, smoke break!) so I find the gaggle and ask what the problem is.
    Crying femme : my grand parents both died at Auschwitz
    T49 : I’m sorry to hear that
    CF : and your outfit reminded me of them
    Now, I’m not quite sure why I said what I said next, but it seemed like it might raise a laff so in I dived
    T49 : I’m wearing it because me granddad died at Dachau
    CF : really?
    T49 : yes, he fell out of a guard tower while drunk, and broke his neck

Cue no laughter whatsoever, and Mrs T49 tugging on my arm to get me to leave before I was lynched.
    Now, whilst I don’t condone the Holocaust in any way, shape or form, it wasn’t my fault, I wasn’t even there, and I’m not even remotely German-looking. Plus, I thought it was a pretty funny gag that at least merited a belly chuckle or two.
  2. You basterd.... you utter basterd.......

I'm sitting trying to look busy and avoid work, and people are looking at me wondering why I'm crying....
  3. Fock me if I did not do a very similar thing myself! :lol:

People have got to let go of the past and move on ..............except for the French we have to always hate those back stabbing surrender monkeys 8O
  4. You made all that up after reading a VERY old joke didn't you?
  5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

My Grandfather was what they called an unorthadox Jew during the war
    He was a Nazi

People need to get over the past ffs man up and have a laugh
  6. If it makes you feel any better I just laughed so hard tea came out of my nose!
  7. FFS these jokes were written when The Dead Sea was in perfect health
  8. I dont know how anybody can laugh at aushwitz, my grandfather was a postman so i can make no claims to him having been a guard or inmate but even after 64years he hasnt got over trying to deliver their gas bill.

not sure about hat and coat but i would like to leave under a blanket
  9. Now there's a practical imposibility, the Dead Sea's been dead a couple of thousand years, whereas the period aimed at for these jokes, is merely 6 decades ago, thereby you Sir, are inaccurate.
  10. isnt that an old bernard manning joke? double whammy there!
  11. This thread reminds me of a droll line from Barry Norman :

" I thought i'd never start laughing . And I didn't "
  12. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

And you Sir are a Sarcasm Walt!!

Had you really wished to tick Spanny off, you might have pointed out that his supposition is tantamount to impossible. After all one of the earliest forms of human portable writing are 'The Dead Sea Scrolls', which were written when The Dead Sea was still, ermmmmmmm, dead.
  13. Bugger, never thought of that one!
  14. i don't remember the ins and outs but waaaay back in the mists of time (the 80's) in Germany, an RAF hairy plane managed to shoot down another RAF hairy plane!! I think one was from Wilders the other from Bruggen! Shortly afterwards my dad poled up at the Sgts Mess in Wilders dressed as an Exocet missile! Some people had total sense of humour failure for some reason!Will have to see if he has any pics, it was an ace costume as i remember it!

edited to add apparently it was a Bruggen Jag shot down by a Wilders Phantom May 25 '82 and it may have been a sidewinder
  15. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Glad to see Bernard Manning is alive and well. :roll: