Fancy a trip to Belize?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Tartan_Terrier, Feb 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It seems 1 Rifles are looking for volunteers to go to Belize wth them on Exercise Tropical Storm from the 27th of February til the 5th of April.

R&R in Cancun, a bit of adventure training, and lots of interesting flora and fauna. What's not to like?

They're looking for people qualified as:

Infantry section rifleman.
    SA(A) and (E) range qualifications.
    CMT1 or CMT3 medics.
    RLC Logistic Support Detachment.
    C+E drivers.
    RLC Ammo Tech.
    REME Recovery Mech.
    REME Armourer Class 1 or 3
    Postal & Courier NCO.
    Nursing Officer.
    Environmental Health Team.
    RLC Local Resources Cell NCO.
    Jungle Warfare Visual Trackers.

So if you fancy doing something different ..................

2. Will they take a civvy REME class 1 armourer??

3. You never know your luck. The contact details are on the front page of Armynet (under Army news).

4. I've not got on Armynet before.

5. You have PM

6. Dear god...

7. Call me old fashioned, but shouldn't they have a shed load of these already :?

8. They actually have to ask for volunteers for this?

9. Not very encouraging that they have to do so eh? 8O

10. Honestly I'm surprised they're not knocking people back. Or is training in Belize really, really hard? I guess it was called the Mosquito Coast.

11. On one of last year's TS, there were 2 entire platoons composed of non-infanteers, from RAF to Int Corps. They did very well, it would appear.

12. A Class 3 armourer did I read? Sure you didn't mean 2 at all? If it is indeed 3 I'd jump at the chance if I wasn't knee deep in our 6 monthlys :(

13. No change then. I went out to Belize for three weeks in the very early 90s, as an Ex Umpire for the RHF's Ex ?Mayan Sword? Our company had a fourth platoon, of King's Royal Hussars IIRC (unfortunately a few of them died in a truck accident just before I arrived). No apparent difference to this STAB infantry type.

One week of exercise, two weeks of, errr, acclimatisation either side on Ambergris Caye, getting to PADI Open Water Diver for the princely sum of £100 or so, all inclusive - and £6 a night accommodation because the bloke at the "hotel" was spliffed out of his skull and couldn't multiply when he did a quote. Somehow my Training Major persuaded my firm that my trip was vital to the security of the free world, and I didn't have to do it as unpaid leave, so I got paid twice.

It's trips like that which keep you in, long after they happen. Actually, I got what must surely be the last "b*stard tree" thorn out of my thigh two years ago...

14. [
    No change then. I went out to Belize for three weeks in the very early 90s, as an Ex Umpire for the RHF's Ex ?Mayan Sword? Our company had a fourth platoon, of King's Royal Hussars IIRC (unfortunately a few of them died in a truck accident just before I arrived). No apparent difference to this STAB infantry type.

One week of exercise, two weeks of, errr, acclimatisation either side on Ambergris Caye, getting to PADI Open Water Diver for the princely sum of £100 or so, all inclusive - and £6 a night accommodation because the bloke at the "hotel" was spliffed out of his skull and couldn't multiply when he did a quote. Somehow my Training Major persuaded my firm that my trip was vital to the security of the free world, and I didn't have to do it as unpaid leave, so I got paid twice.

Was Mayan Sword in 1990 and Toucan Blade in 1991 - biggest skives known to mankind at the time :D

15. If you were in the Rapier positions around APC then it is highly likely I assaulted you :D . I was a Pl Comd in the Resident Bn at the time.

Got to love those Pina Coladas...