Fancy a trifle?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by smartascarrots, Sep 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wasn't sure whether to put this in History or Shooting Sports, but ROK have a job lot on the go.

Damn these UK gun laws. I quite fancy an M1, purely for home defence you understand.
  2. The reporter seems to have confused a few things in the article. The MI Garand was chambered in .30.06 Springfield and would easily have punched through any clobber the Chinese were wearing. It was a different case with the MI Carbine, which really did fire a weak round that often failed to penetrate thick winter gear.

3. I think they got it right, although it is ambiguous. They didn't refer to the carbine as the M1 to avoid confusion.

"A total of 86,000 M1 rifles will be sold, and another 22,000 carbines - although these have a more patchy reputation.

In the Korean war they had a reputation for jamming in extreme cold weather conditions, and complaints were recorded from US troops that they often failed to stop heavily clothed North Korean or Chinese soldiers at short range."

No mention of a trifle?
  4. I think its an urban myth that any calibre round (.30 carbine, .380 revolver, 9mm, etc) can be stopped by a wet blanket/ greatcoat/ chinese uniform/ etc. Even a .22"RF will punch through thick clothing, unless there is something solid in the way....

"Failing to stop" the soldier even after penetration is another matter.

I thought US gun laws currently ban the "re-import" of all US weapons given as military aid or lend-lease?