Fancy a different Op Tour - UNFICYP is for You!

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by OldSnowy, Apr 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Announced today:

DEFENCE
    Cyprus

The Minister of State, Ministry of Defence (Mr. Adam Ingram): A new call-out order has been made under Section 56 of the Reserve Forces Act 1996 to enable members of the reserve forces to be called out into permanent service and deployed to Cyprus as part of the UK's contribution to the United Nations Forces in Cyprus (UNFICYP). It is planned for the first group of reservists to commence six-month operational tours in October 2007; the exact number involved has yet to be determined but is expected to be about 120. Subsequent groups may vary in size but in all cases the reservists will relieve the corresponding number of regular soldiers involved with UNFICYP to be deployed to other commitments. We envisage that the majority of reservists will come from TA artillery and engineer regiments as these units have a lower proportion of members with recent operational experience. The call-out order has effect until 30 April 2008.
    http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmtoday/cmwms/archive/070425.htm#hddr_2

In other words, TA can now do UNFICYP and get to wear a blue beret, gain another medal, and generally do something that their Families and employers might approve of! Also, it means that non-Infantry get the chance to be Mobilised (I know lots have, but still...) and earn a Gong - even if it is on the Green Line.

This is a great opportunity for the TA - I just hope enough people volunteer.

What the Regs think of this is another thing, but at least it should reduce overstretch a bit.

2. So is it accompanied or not?

3. msr

msr LE

I think people will jump at this chance. I am almost tempted myself.

Oh for the chance of a three month tour!

msr

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Nope, it'll be a six-monther (or thereabouts) with training at the start, and leave at the finish.

It HAS to be good for the TA - now we just have to make sure it works - or the bean counters will be looking very, very, closely indeed at many Units configured for LSDI and that haven't, let's say, been positive in a cost/benefit analysis way over the past three years. In other words, those areas that haven't been Mob'd in large swathes had better start thinking about volunteering for this..............

5. shame ACF AIs are not deployable , I would have loved to jump at that, I always wanted to look inside the green line espcially Nicosia, Famagusta and Errenkoy, doing something different , ah well, have fun you lot

6. msr

msr LE

Shame? Thankfully more like ;)

msr

7. msr

msr LE

Then why have they not selected a unit to lead on this?

msr

8. shame ACF AIs are not deployable , I would have loved to jump at that, I always wanted to look inside the green line espcially Nicosia, Famagusta and Errenkoy, doing something different , ah well, have fun you lot

Why would we want to make Youth Workers deployable?

9. Ok, Where do I sign up?

10. Where do I sign?

11. I was being tongue in cheek, I know it will never happen, you know it will never happen, I have been to the Green line as a tourist and used the crossing at Ledra Palace, I did have a burning curiosity to look inside the time capsule that is the green zone, Garages and showrooms with 1970s car in them, Famagusta Hotels with bedding , Suitcases, furnitures , even Bars left as they were in 1974 , many hotels have been sealed up, I did see a photo set of one that was opened up specially for the shoot, they found loads of suitcases, Hotel rooms in 1974 chic, an unopened bottle of brandy , Im soooo jealous.

p.s. sorted your quote out mate

12. I'll do it, where do I sign up!

13. msr

msr LE

Wingletang,

Is this a sign of the times?

msr

14. So, any ideas of how to sign up?

15. Well I've lived in poor accommodation for a whole two weeks and most weekends, so I'd guess my family could do that for 6 months.

Seriously, their is no way I could sell this to Mrs Polar. She'd see this as an extended 18-30 holiday.

You mention Arty and Engs not pulling their weight, how does Sigs cope?