Fancy a C-130, a CH53, an AH-1S Cobra, a Skyhawk or a Kfir ?

Discussion in 'Tanks, planes & ships' started by fantassin, Jul 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Isn't the KFIR a robbed-off Mirage 5?

2. The Israeli's are starting to replace their C-130H's with C-130-30J's... AFAIK, the first two are in the process of being delivered.

3. Do they take paypal?

4. Fantassin - they're all excellent choices of equipment if you want to re-enact Yom Kippur. You can get much better deals on second hand Typhoons and I'd imagine the same for Rafale shortly :)

5. Interesting to see they are flogging off their Galil rifles too; apparently, in spite of all the sales drives, it never caught on IDF troopers like the CAR-15 and then M-4s did. Not to mention the fact that American rifles come through FMS....

I think the FRA armed forces should get a deal on 6-9 CH53s for their Op in Mali; would make life a lot easier...

6. Uzis as well, sadly not with the wooden furniture though.

7. Thought they were going over to the Tavor?

8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

quite a bit more capable, I was always led to believe, as it was pretty thoroughly re-engineered rather than just a straight copy (the Nesher, the Kfir's predecessor, was more of a straight copy.) they re-engined it with the J79 (as used in the f-4), rejigged the cockpit and electronics and made it a much better aircraft than the 5. (I stand to be corrected by others with more knowledge, however.)

9. A M-60A3 Main Battle Tank now that's the thing to drive in to Croydon tonight.
    Easily get a car park space right outside the pub & no worries about the chavs complaining.

10. The Austrians operated a couple of CH-53's in the 1980's IIRC. Ironically, they sold them to Israel because of high operating costs...

11. They are, though it is taking a while. Presumably M4s/CAR-15s/M16s from units now using Tavors are being used to replace the remaining Galils in other units. From December 2012:

IDF phasing out M-16 in favor of Israeli-made Tavor | JPost | Israel News

New Gun Overview: IWI TAVOR SAR, Part One | The Truth About GunsThe Truth About Guns

12. I can't remember the last time I saw a conscript or reservist using a Galil. Saying that I have not yet seen a reservist with a Tavor either. Its M4/CAR-15/M16 stock.