Fan Dance / P Coy Trilogy

The_Poltroon

Old-Salt
When I was actually in the Army if someone had said to me get your Bergen on...we are off on a 16km tab I'd probably have gone sick immediately but now I'm no longer in I actually find it quite enjoyable.

I've done the Paras10 event a couple of times and I was interested to see an event called the P Coy trilogy pop up in my Facebook news feed. Apparently it follows the route taken on the Brecon phase of P Coy, starts and finishes at Cwm Gwdi and takes in Pen Y Fan and Fan Fawr on the way.

The Fan Dance route is easily searchable (Storey Arms to Torpantau and back) and I've done that walk a few times.

However I can find no map of the old route used on P Coy. I'd like to do the route before I enter the event..

Anyone got a link to a map of the exact route used?

Did they actually go off to Brecon for P Coy?

I remember them running around Aldershot for 3 weeks pre-Brize, now they run around Catterick for 3 weeks. The only distance event is the 20 miler in test week in under 4 hours. Brecon would be a long way to go for one tabbing event.

The_Poltroon

Old-Salt

I remember them running around Aldershot for 3 weeks pre-Brize, now they run around Catterick for 3 weeks. The only distance event is the 20 miler in test week in under 4 hours. Brecon would be a long way to go for one tabbing event.
I saw one of those ‘Cutting Edge’ type of documentaries about P Coy many years ago that showed them being beasted around Brecon ... including doing a stretcher race. They looked like they were having a suitably shite time

Aquavite

Old-Salt

Yes. 20 miler, then Pen Y Fan and Fan Fawr and 10km speed march down Roman Road then stretcher race.

Yes. 20 miler, then Pen Y Fan and Fan Fawr and 10km speed march down Roman Road then stretcher race.

Live and learn. Cheers.

My recollection from about 50 years ago was stretcher carry from Cwm Gwdi down the lanes north and west onto the the Taff way to Story Arms (Stretchers dropped off) then up to Pen Y Fan via Obelisk and Corn Du / Pen Y Fan down to the Roman road and back to Cwm Gwdi

Didn`t cross the road to Fan Fawr ??

Archie

The 20 miler was done out of the back of Warcop Camp up some pretty steep hills in the late 90’s. Not sure if it still is. Everything else was at Catterick.

Oyibo

LE
When I was actually in the Army if someone had said to me get your Bergen on...we are off on a 16km tab I'd probably have gone sick immediately but now I'm no longer in I actually find it quite enjoyable.

I've done the Paras10 event a couple of times and I was interested to see an event called the P Coy trilogy pop up in my Facebook news feed. Apparently it follows the route taken on the Brecon phase of P Coy, starts and finishes at Cwm Gwdi and takes in Pen Y Fan and Fan Fawr on the way.

The Fan Dance route is easily searchable (Storey Arms to Torpantau and back) and I've done that walk a few times.

However I can find no map of the old route used on P Coy. I'd like to do the route before I enter the event..

Anyone got a link to a map of the exact route used?

A late reply, but these guys have all the answers:

I am ex-Crab aircrew. You can imagine the enhanced state of exquisite physical fitness I displayed while serving.

Been out a few years now, in my 50’s, broke my ultramarathon cherry a few weeks ago. Now it’s my own choice to do it, I rather enjoy it!