Famous Belgian soldiers

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by angular, Jul 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was having a conversation with a Belgian friend recently (alright, a rant about how they always expect someone else to defend them. TG we've known each other a long time and he doesn't take me seriously after that much beer), and tried to think of a famous Belgian war hero.

All I could come up with was Leon Degrelle, who doesn't really fit the mould of Belgian defender of democracy against totalitarian dictatorship. Does anyone have any better suggestions?

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Edmond Thieffry?

3. Brigadier General Stella Artois Croix de Guerre

4. This chap was born in Belgium to Russian parents so wee bit unsure if he was emigre Russian, Belgian or finally naturalised British.

Vladimir Peniakoff :? :?

5. Young Indiana Jones was in the Belguim army!

6. As an individual soldier and battalion (not so much formation) commander, Carton de Wiart must be No 1, certainly among Belgian and, quite possibly, British troops of the 20th century. For once, that much-abused word 'awesome' is fully justified in describing this amazing man. Was he the only Belgian-born VC?

7. Adrian Carton de Wiart was of Belgian/Irish descent. Born in Belgium, he was brought up in Egypt before being sent to school and university in England. He was commissioned into the Yeomanry, after an earlier stab at soldiering as an IV which ended in his being wounded. He then transferred that commission into the 4th DG. I think it is safe to say he was not a very Belgian Belgian but a very British one.

He is the only "Belgian VC". Although perhaps some of the Channel Islander recipients could opt, under EU rules to be considered Belgians?

8. They'd need to have suffered a very serious head wound to consider that course of action! :D

9. A mere whimsy on the lines of Guernseyman Budge Pountney opting to represent Scotland...and why wouldn't he? That's rhetoric by the way!

10. Tin-Tin.