Famous Battles (and how they shaped the modern world) 1588-1943

Famous Battles (and how they shaped the modern world) 1588-1943

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Helm submitted a new resource:

Famous Battles (and how they shaped the modern world) 1588-1943 - From the armada to Stalingrad

I am not sure if am too old or too thick to appreciate this book, but I didn't enjoy it at all. It covers 8 battles in all and examines the aftermath and how they shaped the world. I don't have any real gripes with the selection of battles. The battles themselves are decently covered, with. But the aftermath etc is at best poor ranging to downright awful with the last being Stalingrad which is covered via the medium of film! Yes really, that's what they decided would be the best aftermath...
Read more about this resource...

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Anything like this is always very selective so I will give the authors a pass on that part.

Prompted the RN to pull its finger out, and learn a bit about fightiness and shipbuilding, perhaps?
It is the legacy,. not so much the result.
So by that logic, why not the battle of Beachy Head instead?

Struggling to work out how Chatham and Culloden shaped the modern world
I can't comment on Chatham, but the Jacobites losing Culloden opened the way for the Scottish Enlightenment, which had a significant influence on the modern world. A restoration of the Stuart monarchy would have flung the country back to being a late medieval backwater.

Sorry my bad
Armada 1588
Chatham 1667
Vienna 1683
Culloden 1746
Waterloo 1815
Gettysburg 1863
Somme 1916
Stalingrad 1942/43

My bold interesting considering it was the weather that accounted for most of the Spanish losses. Its also telling that the 1589 English Armada is rarely if ever mentioned in English history books .. The Tudor Invasion of Spain: How Elizabeth I's English Armada ended in humiliation | All About History
snip "The English Armada had been a complete failure. At the cost of more than £100,000, the English fleet had lost around 40 ships and cost at least 15,000 men their lives. The only gains had been 150 captured cannon and £30,000 of plunder. By contrast the Spanish only lost around 900 men, held onto Portugal and rebuilt its navy"

Again, the choices are very subjective, but I'd have thought that Quebec, 1759 would be a battle that really shaped the modern world. Wolfe's triumph also bred the political fallout that saw the creation of the USA.

I can't comment on Chatham, but the Jacobites losing Culloden opened the way for the Scottish Enlightenment, which had a significant influence on the modern world. A restoration of the Stuart monarchy would have flung the country back to being a late medieval backwater.
Must Resist

Dont make obvious cheap shot