Famine… The Most Deadly Horseman in the 21st Century?

holyphuc

Old-Salt
He was right about the human population being limited by food, but he didn't forsee the technological advances that allowed increased yields, or better bulk transportation that allowed it to be distributed. Will we get even more technological breakthroughs? My wheat yields haven't really increased since the 90's long term average is about 9t/ha, occasionally if the weather plays ball and I get my act together it goes above 10t, but we aren't seeing the increase that my father's generation saw in the 60' and 70's, which they got with one herbicide and an occasional fungicide, instead of the exensive cocktail necessary now, in those days a 250acre beef and arable farm employing father and one worker generated enough income to put 3 of us through public school, not a hope of that now.

He was right about the human population being limited by food, but he didn't forsee the technological advances that allowed increased yields, or better bulk transportation that allowed it to be distributed. Will we get even more technological breakthroughs? My wheat yields haven't really increased since the 90's long term average is about 9t/ha, occasionally if the weather plays ball and I get my act together it goes above 10t, but we aren't seeing the increase that my father's generation saw in the 60' and 70's, which they got with one herbicide and an occasional fungicide, instead of the exensive cocktail necessary now, in those days a 250acre beef and arable farm employing father and one worker generated enough income to put 3 of us through public school, not a hope of that now.
As a non arable sheep wrangler ( rtd), for the laymen on here I cannot recommend highly enough on u tube Harry Metcalfs “ Harry’s farm”
A couple of months ago he dropped the eye opener ( to me), that it is an application of liquid nitrogen fertiliser at half plant growth, that nearly DOUBLES the yield. Ok for this year As pre purchased, BUT.
Now factor in nitrogen at nearly £1000 a ton, up from a historical £220.
and the world needs to have a long hard think as what that is going to do to yields and / or prices next summer.!
In another 18 months this is going to look very ugly indeed.

holyphuc

Old-Salt
And the wheat price is on the way down from a high of £349 to about £270 now, if it doesn't rise people will cut fertiliser spend even more.
@HLD DMR what are the crops looking like out there?

As a non arable sheep wrangler ( rtd), for the laymen on here I cannot recommend highly enough on u tube Harry Metcalfs “ Harry’s farm”
A couple of months ago he dropped the eye opener ( to me), that it is an application of liquid nitrogen fertiliser at half plant growth, that nearly DOUBLES the yield. Ok for this year As pre purchased, BUT.
Now factor in nitrogen at nearly £1000 a ton, up from a historical £220.
and the world needs to have a long hard think as what that is going to do to yields and / or prices next summer.!
In another 18 months this is going to look very ugly indeed.

One would think that the atmosphere being about 80% nitrogen would be enough . . . . I think you actually mean nitrate based fertiliser which is less inaccurate.

Over here in NL, farming is being pretty much closed down (yes, all farming) due to minimal biological understanding by parliament and excessive worship of Greta the Doom-Goblin. Motorways and towns are regularly blockaded by tractors etc. (and this is not due to complaints about a lack of russian tanks to tow away).

One would think that the atmosphere being about 80% nitrogen would be enough . . . . I think you actually mean nitrate based fertiliser which is less inaccurate.

Over here in NL, farming is being pretty much closed down (yes, all farming) due to minimal biological understanding by parliament and excessive worship of Greta the Doom-Goblin. Motorways and towns are regularly blockaded by tractors etc. (and this is not due to complaints about a lack of russian tanks to tow away).
Sorry farming vernacular here ( Cumbria) is the term nitrogen covers
“ straight nitrogen” fertilisers, ie straight ammonium nitrate.
drift over.

I love how city folk don't understand that tax breaks and subsidies of any sort to famers are in fact tax breaks and subsidies to the food they buy on the supermarket shelves. Sounds like it's the same for you over there too.

There are a couple of ‘dumb’ bombs floating around on the Sri Lankan thread when the mention of the prohibition of Nitrogen based fert was mentioned….

There are a couple of chaps on here that seem to hold particular anti chemistry /GM
viewpoints, fair enough.

The best bumper sticker I’ve come across was glued to the tailgate of a manky livestock trailer in our Northern Auction carpark..
‘Don’t criticise farmers when your mouth is full’

It seems that message is soo last century!

There are a couple of ‘dumb’ bombs floating around on the Sri Lankan thread when the mention of the prohibition of Nitrogen based fert was mentioned….

There are a couple of chaps on here that seem to hold particular anti chemistry /GM
viewpoints, fair enough.

The best bumper sticker I’ve come across was glued to the tailgate of a manky livestock trailer in our Northern Auction carpark..
‘Don’t criticise farmers when your mouth is full’

It seems that message is soo last century!
That is like the sticker I saw on a white van a couple of years ago.
'If you think there are too many vans on the road then stop buying stuff on the internet'.

Latest Threads