Famine… The Most Deadly Horseman in the 21st Century?

D

Deleted 184863

Perhaps this is nature's way of reducing the population.
The problem is corrupt, and more importantly incompetent, government, pretty much worldwide.
I'm not sure that's a product of nature, but it's a very interesting philosophical question.

Lake Powell and Lake Mead on the Colorado River remain way below where they need to be, and Lake Mead is still dropping.
http://graphs.water-data.com/lakemead/
Based on this article
What you need to know about Lake Mead’s falling water levels
The water in Lake Mead is only 5 foot above the level where 12 of the 17 turbines in the Hoover Dam can no longer be run. At the current rate of drop, that point will be reached in 3 weeks.
If you want to know why Lake Mead's water is dissapearing, look no further than here.

Lake Mead provides 90% of Las Vegas' drinking water. The experts were predicting this in 1992 when I did a tour of the Hoover Dam.

D

Deleted 184863

If you want to know why Lake Mead's water is dissapearing, look no further than here.

Lake Mead provides 90% of Las Vegas' drinking water. The experts were predicting this in 1992 when I did a tour of the Hoover Dam.
Yes, indeed.
I've lived in Arizona, and am well aware of both Vegas and Phoenix as drivers of the general Colorado River extraction problem. What's interesting is that the water extraction from Glen Canyon has been reduced as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted 184863

It’s all energy. 2250 calories (average male and female need a day). What is the sustainable amount of food calories we can harvest?
I think it is rapidly approaching the point at which the harvestable sustainable calories in your local area is going to be an important consideration.
Supply chain disruptions, cost of energy, diesel availability and cost, etc.
And harvestable on your own property is certainly going to help the bottom line on personal expenditure, at least.

Today, I 'ave been mostly..

..planting vegetables.

In fact I've been at it all week.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I think it is rapidly approaching the point at which the harvestable sustainable calories in your local area is going to be an important consideration.
And harvestable on your own property is certainly going to help the bottom line on personal expenditure, at least.

..planting vegetables.

Yup. Peas, beans, spuds,leeks, parsnips, spinach, kale, cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes, celery and various herbs are all growing away nicely here.

Not sure I can defend them from raiders though. An SLR bayonet and a flintlock pistol with no powder or ball won't be much use!

holyphuc

Old-Salt

..planting vegetables.

Do you have any means of irrigation? Luckily I have a spring fed stream from which I syphon water to the garden, not enough flow to irrigate the fields but OK for the garden and so far it's never dried up even in '76.

That faint fluttering we can hear is the sound of chickens coming home to roost:

All these events puts me in mind of this Series.
aeAZN6v_460s.jpg

If you've not seen it then give it a go, but make sure it's this version, not the terrible US remake.

I watched it during the covid lockdown which was perversely good timing considering.
I'll not say much more than world famine through over population and the attempt to alleviate it is at its core.

Plus all aspects of the production are top notch.

I first went out to Lake mead in around 2012, then again two years later, and there was a marked difference in the water level. Due to a drop in water level they had moved the local lake based yachty club further into the lake area by around 200 yards just in those two years.

Commonsense tells you that a thirsty man drinking a pint will be happy, twenty people supping from the same pint is going to leave them all short. It is about as sensible as having a couple of nomadic arabs happily living in a tent next to a wadi in the Sahara, then suddenly building a city around that same wadi.

longhair

Old-Salt
It’s all energy. 2250 calories (average male and female need a day). What is the sustainable amount of food calories we can harvest?
which sense are you using sustainable? sustainable as in being able to replenish, again and again, the food stock itself, or sustainable in that it sustains the consumers?

If the latter, then policy needs to be considered as to the carbohydrate mix. (Not getting into the "carbs" discussion where it is used as a short expression for dietary fibre - the indigestible stuff needed - to some amount - for bowel health) Just over 50% of the Calorific intake needs to come from Carbohydrate for typical, average, diets. Easy to get that from beets/turnips [1], especially if refined to the evil sugar, but sources such as wheat deliver more micronutrients, and there's added value in the protein component.
Then there's the age old paradox about feeding grown carbohydrate as opposed to grazing to manufacture protein ...

[1] Let's go pre-medieval here ... why not?

Didn't one land in Siberia ( Tunguska) a while back, the least inhabited part of the planet outside Antarctica?
Apologies for slight thread drift, but still relevant to the 'horsemen of the apocalypse' idea: I've always wondered what might have happened if this event had happened over a world-important major city (London, New York, Constantinople, Paris etc.). If it had (especially given that not everyone in the general population back then would have understood meteors) it's entirely possible there would have been a massive reversal of the decline of religion, as it would have made a lot of people realise that they and their civilisation can be struck down by the cosmos suddently without warning or prevention, let alone as punishment for some percieved sin. Many would have turned back to religion and away from the new ideas of real-world rationality, due to this new reminder of our mortality. Perhaps the great conflagration in Europe 6 years later might not have happened. (so, silver linings?)

Last edited:
Apologies for slight thread drift, but still relevant to the 'horsemen of the apocalypse' idea: I've always wondered what might have happened if this event had happened over a world-important major city (London, New York, Constantinople, Paris etc.). If it had (especially given that not everyone in the general population back then would have understood meteors) it's entirely possible there would have been a massive reversal of the decline of religion, as it would have made a lot of people realise that they and their civilisation can be struck down by the cosmos suddently without warning or prevention, let alone as punishment for some percieved sin. Perhaps the great conflagration in Europe 6 years later might not have happened. (so, silver linings?)
If you're daft enough to believe that ritual and incantations to some mythical deity prevents cosmic collisions, crack on.

View attachment 662864

If you've not seen it then give it a go, but make sure it's this version, not the terrible US remake.

I watched it during the covid lockdown which was perversely good timing considering.
I'll not say much more than world famine through over population and the attempt to alleviate it is at its core.

Indeed there are several scenes on the environment on it, that get to the gist of the problem, in short the greatest sacrifice you make for the environment is not to have children

The way they emulate cross processing in photography makes for good visuals for the series as well

If you're daft enough to believe that ritual and incantations to some mythical deity prevents cosmic collisions, crack on.
Lets just put it this way

Has earth ever collided with anything important?

No

So thank the Christians / Jews / Muslims / Buddhists / Shintos / Devil worshippers

Delete as appropriate

View attachment 662864

I enjoyed that series - I was rooting for the bad guys though. Same with Thanos in the Avengers thing.

Lets just put it this way

Has earth ever collided with anything important?

No

So thank the Christians / Jews / Muslims / Buddhists / Shintos / Devil worshippers

Delete as appropriate

Without it we wouldn't have purple wigged females saving the human race from alien abduction.

Attachments

• Gabrielle_Drake_UFO_35.jpg
    Gabrielle_Drake_UFO_35.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 11

Latest Threads