Famine… The Most Deadly Horseman in the 21st Century?

Pagan-Image

War Hero
I give not a flying toss for the future, as long as my current offspring manage to enjoy it and have a good life. Looking at further forward is irrelevant because I'm not suffering a shitty life just so future generations can have a good one.

I mean, it's my one and only life. I don't get another, I don't go to the back if the queue and wait my next turn. That's it. I'm just a ball of electrons bouncing around that makes me do stuff (still trying to find the ones responsible for my DIY efforts).

Until such time as human nature itself is changed so we work as one United Planetary Forum where each country's only goal is to help other countries get up to speed, and the sole local focus is quality of life for the inhabitants, we don't stand a chance.

Mankind scales down really well, but up really badly.

I.e For the UK, the UK Govt is strategic level, local authorities are tactical levels, and then operational level is all the services in your area. It scales again though as you go more granular. In a local authority, the senior management team are strategic, your departments are tactical and your staff on the ground are operational.

What we don't do, is up. We have tried - the EU, NATO, etc, but it's not enough.

Mankind is strategic level, and that's where as a species we need to focus. All wars stop, all funding goes into R&D for crops, water, energy. Overnight you'll solve the issues - look at Covid and what a ton of money and fear as incentive did for that solution.

So mankind's strategic aim is to bring every country onto the same footing technologically. Then that countries tactical aim is to make itself sustainable, its inhabitants fed, sheltered and clothed and it's operational is for its citizens to make it all happen

We could do this overnight. Overnight we could find all the solutions by getting rid of corruption, deceit, conflict, etc in our governments. We could pool all our resources, we could look at what is produced in this world and immediately stop production of the tat that we simply do not need.

BUT we can't. Because we're human. And we're cnuts.
Without overnight becoming truly altruistic, it would mean making some moral decisions that would be deeply unpleasant;

How do we get the corrupt out of power in order for the altruism to take place. Probably by force or war.

We would also need to look at population control, oohhh thats a tough one.

We would need to take a review of religion and the messages that is pushing out, Holy war anyone!

Can the earth support its current population as it is currently dispersed, probably not, and we thought dingys in the channel was bad.

I could go on, but as you rightly say.... humans are cnuts!

D

Deleted 184863

Weekly US drought report
Current Map | U.S. Drought Monitor

Short version. Southwest is even worse. Rain fell hard in the northern plains, but on partly frozen ground it's just flooded everywhere. Manitoba and Saskatchewan are the same. Planting is delayed. Pictures are from Southern Manitoba 3 days ago.

2022flood.jpg

Meanwhile, wildfires in SW USA are up 50% this year over the 10 year average, both in numbers and acreage, and southern california has just started water restriction requests to customers.

Fire or Flood - who'd be a farmer ?

Lake Powell and Lake Mead on the Colorado River remain way below where they need to be, and Lake Mead is still dropping.
http://graphs.water-data.com/lakemead/
Based on this article
What you need to know about Lake Mead’s falling water levels
The water in Lake Mead is only 5 foot above the level where 12 of the 17 turbines in the Hoover Dam can no longer be run. At the current rate of drop, that point will be reached in 3 weeks.
Glen Canyon Dam is only a little better
Dam providing power to millions nears critically low water level - Roll Call
In both cases, the current water levels are lower than those projected for now in the articles.

The media will be yelling Climate Change, which it is, but this kind of variation is perfectly in keeping with historical norms, not anthropogenics. Here's an old Western Australian folk song.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly believe no matter what GB does or doesn't do it will have no overall effect, next time you come across a world globe look at it until you eventually find the British Isles and you will realise it will make no difference if the whole country were covered in burning lorry tyres.
It's countries like China and Africa that are the real problem. " net zero" ?my rancid hole.

By some good fortune I appear to have offset for this famine by being a lard àrse. The racing snakes will die off while I’m still going through my carried reserves. This means we will get down to a sustainable population before I kick the bucket.

Lard arses will be very popular people, at least with the roving bands of cannibals...

I honestly believe no matter what GB does or doesn't do it will have no overall effect, next time you come across a world globe look at it until you eventually find the British Isles and you will realise it will make no difference if the whole country were covered in burning lorry tyres.
It's countries like China and Africa that are the real problem. " net zero" ?my rancid hole.
Check the 'per capita' column

D

Deleted 184863

Weekly US drought map
Short version: little better than last week.

The Glen Canyon dam is now being refilled from the one higher up. This should stave off total loss of electrical power for a year. However, there's only one more dam above the Glen Canyon, and the refill will use all the Spring water due to inflow, and that dam's low too, and the refill is due to be only 70% of average, and they've had to reduce ag. water from the Glen Canyon too.

And as if things weren't bad enough, the current forecast is for La Nina to continue/restart through to September, which could well ruin this summer's harvest in the drought areas.

I’m already starting to stockpile pasta, tinned food, rice and cooking oil. I think the next 2 years will be ‘turbulent’. May have to think about bog roll as well, as we all know that’ll be the first thing to disappear from the shops when food starts getting scarce…

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I’m already starting to stockpile pasta, tinned food, rice and cooking oil. I think the next 2 years will be ‘turbulent’. May have to think about bog roll as well, as we all know that’ll be the first thing to disappear from the shops when food starts getting scarce…
You'llneed a lot of pasta sauce to make the bog roll taste nice.

holyphuc

Old-Salt
Modern farmers are drug addicts, our drug of choice/necessity is artificial fertiliser, the most addictive is nitrogen, it is like speed or benzidrene in that it increases output, but it comes at a cost, that is more plant disease which needs fungicides, and weeds, which love nitrogen just a much as the crop so we need herbicides to control the weeds. If artificial nitrogen had not been invented we would still be doing the Norfolk four course rotation and the world population would be much smaller, limited by the food availability.
Plants grown without artificial fertiliser depend for their nutrients on a network which we are only just beginning to look at called the "Soil food web". A complex balance off organisms feeding off each other and all interdependent. Artificial fertiliser allows us to bypass this, and massively increase output, but again it has a cost, by destroying this network and degrading the soil, and reducing the nutrient density of the food we eat which in turn is causing more disease.
This has made food much cheaper, I forget the figures but the proportion of peoples income spent on food is tiny compared to the past, this has left more money for mobile phones, TV, cars, etc etc and the rise of big business and globalisation.
We are on the hamster wheel and I can't see any way off except massive famine and wars.

massive famine and wars.
Both on the horizon, and Mr Putin has already said that he has no hesitation to unleash bombs on the west. I reckon, about march next year.

As for famine, overpopulation, and too many mouths to feed, not enough to go around, and the climate having a big say in who will survive, and who won't, throw in those with the cash to ride out both scenarios,protected & fed, and the vast majority who will perish. What you will have left is a society of rampant over indulged no discernible talent-less wasters, and a few survivors with the skills to rebuild, farm and prosper.

holyphuc

Old-Salt
Famine appears to be kicking his horse into a trot, the American mid west is currently either drier than a nuns chuff, or 3' underwater, and they've only sown a tiny proportion of their spring cropping. France is suffering from drought:
France’s unprecedented drought shows climate change is ‘spiralling out of control’
Comments on the farming forum would suggest that it is the same in much of Europe, its very dry in the south here, I have 50,000litres of rain water storage that I use for spraying, that is usually enough to last for the summer, the tanks ran out last week. There are cracks appearing in the ground as if it was mid summer.
I think eggs are going to get very expensive in a year or so, the supermarkets won't increase the price they pay so the producers are being squeezed by rocketing feed and electricity prices, again it's only talk on a forum but several have said they won't restock with new chickens after their current flock.

Weekly US drought report

[...]
Meanwhile, wildfires in SW USA are up 50% this year over the 10 year average, both in numbers and acreage, and southern california has just started water restriction requests to customers.

Fire or Flood - who'd be a farmer ?

Lake Powell and Lake Mead on the Colorado River remain way below where they need to be, and Lake Mead is still dropping.
http://graphs.water-data.com/lakemead/
Based on this article
What you need to know about Lake Mead’s falling water levels
The water in Lake Mead is only 5 foot above the level where 12 of the 17 turbines in the Hoover Dam can no longer be run. At the current rate of drop, that point will be reached in 3 weeks.
Glen Canyon Dam is only a little better
Dam providing power to millions nears critically low water level - Roll Call
In both cases, the current water levels are lower than those projected for now in the articles.

The media will be yelling Climate Change, which it is, but this kind of variation is perfectly in keeping with historical norms, not anthropogenics. Here's an old Western Australian folk song.

But haven't we been here before?

I do remember seeing some metrologist a few years back stating there was some data suggesting that severe weather conditions seemed to come about every 100 years or so, some sort of long term metrological cycle.

I do remember seeing some metrologist a few years back stating there was some data suggesting that severe weather conditions seemed to come about every 100 years or so, some sort of long term metrological cycle.
We're you an instructor at BKYC in 1981?

I walked into a lesson on my Baltic Skipper course, read what the subject was, written on the board of colour and didn't have a scooby. When it started, I discovered it was about reading the weather. Or meteorology, as it is known to most.

D

Deleted 184863

A picture's worth a thousand words
FSlxcJ6WYAIF-_8

A Haboob, a desert dust storm.

In Sioux Falls, South Dakota, yesterday.
and into Iowa, over two hundred miles wide, covered over 35,000 square miles (about the size of South Dakota) across SD, IA, MN

Weekly drought report:
Difficult to summarise this week, with lots of areas changing for the better or worse - very patchy.
Basically still pretty bad in the West, apart from Washington.
Definitely bad news is the reservoir and snowpack situation. Several large reservoirs are down around 25% of capacity, and California's snowpack is at 22% of normal.

Not good for golfers !

D

Deleted 184863

It begins.

Food riots in Sri Lanka. Politicians' houses burnt down, Police have shoot to kill orders on those attacking government property.

Mass food protests in Iran.

D

Deleted 184863

Those that can, do.
Those that can't, or won't, form committees and hold meetings.
In themselves, the committees and meetings aren't the problem. It's that they insist that not only will the productive do the work for the rest, but that they have to do it the committees' way, which is always wrong.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
It begins.

Food riots in Sri Lanka. Politicians' houses burnt down, Police have shoot to kill orders on those attacking government property.

Mass food protests in Iran.

Perhaps this is nature's way of reducing the population.

Latest Threads