family tree help needed

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by prisoner, Feb 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. hi all , i have been traceing my family tree to find out how many members of my family have served in the army, turns out back in 1851 my great great great great great grandad was a soldier, what units were around back in this times, i know the gren grds were not formed till 1656.

    also my great g g g g grand dad lived in the walsall area
  2. Either the 1851 or subsequent census will tell you with which regiment he was serving or you have to find his marriage or death certificate. If you are lucky, it will be detailed on one of those (or perhaps on the birth certificates for any children).

    If he was a soldier, I think 1851 might be too early for any records to have survived; any that have will be in Kew.

    If he was an officer, he will be listed in the annual Army List, again in Kew or Aldershot.

  3. oldbaldy

    oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

    Have you found them on the 1851 census?
    As for what Regts were around I'm confused about your referral to the 17 & 19th century?
    Which one do you mean?