Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Family ties to a regiment

I’m soon to be applying to join the army as an officer.
I wondered that when it comes to selecting a regiment, if the regiment would be interested in knowing that you have family ties to the regiment? For example, grandfather serving in the Sherwood Foresters (now Mercian) and another family member served in the Royal Artillery.

In this day and age it doesn‘t make any difference, it could also be detrimental if you started name dropping.

Pick the best regiment for you personally, not because you feel a family obligation.

It might be a point of interest but Regiments are far more concerned that you yourself are the right character fit for a Regiment than if your family members were.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

In this day and age it doesn‘t make any difference, it could also be detrimental if you started name dropping.

Pick the best regiment for you personally, not because you feel a family obligation.
I thought this would be the case. Definitely not considering name dropping. Purely curious if this is asked in interviews etc

I thought this would be the case. Definitely not considering name dropping. Purely curious if this is asked in interviews etc

You may be asked why you picked a particular regiment and its a fair reason.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
If your relative is part of regimental folklore they'll know him, if he isn't, they won't.

Don't mention it in interview - if it's a worthwhile connection, they will.

chimera

LE
Absolutely agree with Bubbles above. In this day and age I wouldn't bother with family connections, particularly since the Foresters are long (and multiple) amalgamated. Just do your best at AOSB and RMAS. But it is very worth your while getting alongside any Regiment that you aspire to join early, and do some fam visits etc as that really does help when you go through the regimental selection process at Sandhurst.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I’m soon to be applying to join the army as an officer.
I wondered that when it comes to selecting a regiment, if the regiment would be interested in knowing that you have family ties to the regiment? For example, grandfather serving in the Sherwood Foresters (now Mercian) and another family member served in the Royal Artillery.

It's fairly standard to be asked about family connections to the military and I would be very surprised if you weren't, but wait to be asked and don't answer in a way that suggests you're expecting special treatment because of it.

Latest Threads