Family Origins

I know there is a thread in the Military History forum about Family Military history but this is one for any family origins.
My mother shared with my brothers and our families yesterday at her sisters funeral a bit about her late father that we were unaware of.
Now we all knew that he was Irish (as were my fathers grandparents, but this is the west of Scotland) but we only found out yesterday where in County Donegal he hailed from. A small village called............................MUFF.
This led to much hilarity and muffled giggles (especially from the younger ones). All the time Mum was totally in the dark about why we were laughing................oh the innocence of the septuagenarian,
Apparently people only go to Muff for the Craich.
They even have a diving club http://www.muffdivingclub.ie/

muff_diving_club.logo_.png

Any one else got family from interesting places :)

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
We all know about Wankum so I shan't bother, but somewhere west of Traz I once saw a signpost to a village called Jachtdorf and it made me giggle.

I know there is a thread in the Military History forum about Family Military history but this is one for any family origins.
My mother shared with my brothers and our families yesterday at her sisters funeral a bit about her late father that we were unaware of.
Now we all knew that he was Irish (as were my fathers grandparents, but this is the west of Scotland) but we only found out yesterday where in County Donegal he hailed from. A small village called............................MUFF.
This led to much hilarity and muffled giggles (especially from the younger ones). All the time Mum was totally in the dark about why we were laughing................oh the innocence of the septuagenarian,
Apparently people only go to Muff for the Craich.
They even have a diving club http://www.muffdivingclub.ie/

View attachment 195519

Any one else got family from interesting places :)
What About Ye jock? Welcome to the left foot clan.

My maternal family are all Japanese, which played havoc with my vetting forms. My mother, born a few years after the war ended, doesn't even know where she was born (somewhere in China she thinks).

All my Japanese cousins are university educated, financially very successful, and work themselves to death.

I was such a disappointment to my mother; the shame of joining the army. I never did get any tattoos; she really would've knacked me for that; only Yakuza (gangsters) get tattoos, she reckons. Once she threatened to drug me and remove them herself, with a sharp knife, should I ever disobey.

They're fucking mental the Japs.

Is your cock pixelated?

My maternal family are all Japanese, whichd havoc with my vetting forms. My mother, born a few years after the war ended, doesn't even know where she was born (somewhere in China she thinks).

All my Japanese cousins are university educated, financially very successful, and work themselves to death.

I was such a disappointment to my mother; the shame of joining the army. I never did get any tattoos; she really would've knacked me for that; only Yakuza (gangsters) get tattoos, she reckons. Once she threatened to drug me and remove them herself, with a sharp knife, should I ever disobey.

They're ******* mental the Japs.
Should have told her you'd been wanking over some of the old jap photos from the rape of Nanking that'd have made her swell with pride.

On the interesting places to be born point, I can offer Twatt (Orkney), Cockshead (Wales) and Dildo (Newfoundland).

Unless, of course, coming from [a] Brown Willy (Cornwall) is your bag.

No one admitting to being from Cockermouth?

Don't blame you.

My mothers side of the family descend from Scotland, in particular the Isle of Skye. The family tree on that side of the family is a bit on the vertical side, I believe.

My fathers side is German and that family history goes pretty quiet from about 1933 to 1945. I know of one Wermacht Infantry SNCO who I believe was killed in 1942. The rest I assume, were hung at Nuremberg.

image.jpg

Still can't beat Slag Lane in Goldbourne.

As for family my great gran x2 she was Scotlands first female self made millionaire owned the Barra's market and the Barrowlands Ballroom which is still on the go, Funny when you listen to her sounds like a shite kicker from up north but was born in Glaston and spent most of her days in Paisley/Glasgow.

As my uncle said the other week our side of the family didn't inherate the money just the ill health,

BBC radio interview with her in the 50's,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/history/a_history_of_the_barras_in_glasgow.shtml?mediaset1=2

My mothers side of the family descend from Scotland, in particular the Isle of Skye. The family tree on that side of the family is a bit on the vertical side, I believe.

My fathers side is German and that family history goes pretty quiet from about 1933 to 1945. I know of one Wermacht Infantry SNCO who I believe was killed in 1942. The rest I assume, were hung at Nuremberg.

View attachment 195634
Meh .......ask Maple if he'll lend you his swastikers.

View attachment 195634
Why would you believe any were executed? Were they high ranking nazis?

And are you saying the i infantry oberfeldwebel ritterkreuztr├Ąger in the photo is the relation killed in 42?

Whilst walking through London I came across a Back Passage...not literally of course!!

There is another called Mudchute Lane.

There is a small village in Staffordshire I visited once called Cockintake.

And a wee village not far from me in Aberdeenshire called Tarty and one in Angus called Boysack!!