Family Military Photos

There's a couple of little gaps which prevent an "unbroken" line of Service from 1896 to 2018.

1930-1939
1946-1972 (National Service seems to have skipped my family, the WW2 Generation came home and had children, who were then too young to do National Service)

I actually served in a Brigade that my Great Great Uncle John served in, I served in Bosnia whilst part of 24X, he did the Western Front. I suspect I had a slightly easier time.
Edit: Just realised that Thomas Senior was himself a former member of the KOYLI (serving 25 years, although it would have been called the 51st King's Own Light Infantry or the 1st Battalion, King's Own Light Infantry (South Yorkshire Regiment), so when I get my arse in gear and visit their museum in Doncaster I'll have to go further back, possibly into the 1860/70s and India and Afghanistan. Wouldn't it be quite something if my Great Great Grandfather had been in Kandahar as British Soldier 130 years before I had been there?

The wife’s other Grandfather.

Joined 10th Royal Hussars in 1915 and served as Kings Messenger. Later High Sheriff of Westmorland and Lord Lt of Westmorland.

Also honorary colonel of 4th Border Regiment.

View attachment 391084
Christ he’s young? MC if i’m Not mistaken Any idea how young?

Pretty sure he didn’t have an MC.

Best image I can get of the medal card...

View attachment 391105
Don’t be to sure, it looks like an MC, you can of course put his name in the London gazette search engine and see what comes up?
Besides which that looks very much like a 1000yd stare.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Don’t be to sure, it looks like an MC, you can of course put his name in the London gazette search engine and see what comes up?
Besides which that looks very much like a 1000yd stare.
Definitely not an MC. He was page of honour at the king’s coronation and that’s a coronation medal.

Private Walter Stanley Jordan, East Kent Regiment. Shot in India, recuperated in UK, while waiting for transport, he learnt a trade as a groundsman. Shipped out to Mesopotamia, walked to Baghdad, grew food to support the city while waiting for transport back to UK at the end of the war.

Upon demob, he became the groundsman for an estate near Margate, fathered seven in a small cottage known to this day as Jordan Cottage.

Moved to Filton, Bristol during WW2, joining the home guard. Became a security guard at Rolls Royce, Rodney Works, Patchway.

Died 1978. My maternal grandfather.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

Private Walter Stanley Jordan, East Kent Regiment. Shot in India, recuperated in UK, while waiting for transport, he learnt a trade as a groundsman. Shipped out to Mesopotamia, walked to Baghdad, grew food to support the city while waiting for transport back to UK at the end of the war.

Upon demob, he became the groundsman for an estate near Margate, fathered seven in a small cottage known to this day as Jordan Cottage.

Moved to Filton, Bristol during WW2, joining the home guard. Became a security guard at Rolls Royce, Rodney Works, Patchway.

Died 1978. My maternal grandfather.

Entered Theatre of War (5C-Asiatic) 5 Aug 1915: his 15 Star should have the number 2159, assuming I've got the right one.

Entered Theatre of War (5C-Asiatic) 5 Aug 1915: his 15 Star should have the number 2159, assuming I've got the right one.
That's the one. Thanks for the date, I didn't have that. My mother is the only surviving child, but never really knew too much about his history as she was so much younger.

I remember him polishing his brass tin every Sunday, but I was too young to be interested and he was too old to tell me :-(

That's the one. Thanks for the date, I didn't have that. My mother is the only surviving child, but never really knew too much about his history as she was so much younger.

I remember him polishing his brass tin every Sunday, but I was too young to be interested and he was too old to tell me :-(

Here you go, chap-his MIC:

WS Jordan.jpg

Wouldn't it be quite something if my Great Great Grandfather had been in Kandahar as British Soldier 130 years before I had been there?
I was in Kandahar too but it was only after I got back from Afghanistan I started to research family history and I discovered my Great Uncle had been in the same part of the country 91 years earlier as part of the RGA.

I don't think he was adhering to 'courageous restraint' at the time.

I was in Kandahar too but it was only after I got back from Afghanistan I started to research family history and I discovered my Great Uncle had been in the same part of the country 91 years earlier as part of the RGA.

I don't think he was adhering to 'courageous restraint' at the time.
And still we do not learn, hey ho

Bit of a long shot here, I think I've got as much as I can from this image but I'll throw it out to the ARRSE Massive to see if there is any further info to be gleaned.

kenneth ackroyd.jpg

This is my maternal Grandfather, the photo would likely have been taken 1947-1950 so squarely in the middle of National Service. He was from the Wakefield/Leeds area (that messy bit where they can't work out whether they're Leeds or Wakey folk). I reckon he's a Gunner, but my mother doesn't know anything apart from he served before she was born (1955) and he "spent some time in Germany" - didn't they all?

Anyone else got further info, I'm digging through on Ancestry.com, he's the Grandson of the William Ackroyd who died in May 1918 at the Battle of the Aisne when 9KOYLI were smashed.